Arakawa Japanese Maple

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful work! May we see a photo of the pot you're thinking of using?

Here it is. It's a Koyo that was made specifically for Mr. Takeyama of Fuyo-en. Aiba Koyo made pots for Mr. Takeyama that were specially marked with the Fuyo-en logo of Mt. Fuji usually appearing at the top of the chop. This pot was purchased from Matt Ouwinga.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Arakawa repotted into its new rectangular Koyo container. This year the small third trunk will be developed to start ramifying. There is an additional root graft at the back while another is almost complete right at the base of the larger trunk. It will be cut off leaving a short stump for safety in early summer. The tree was also planted lower into the pot and rotated slightly counterclockwise to tweak its front angle.

Not bad since it's last repotting one year ago.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Glad this is growing well for you ,Mach.
That third trunk is going to be sweeet! It already looks cool.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Glad this is growing well for you ,Mach.
That third trunk is going to be sweeet! It already looks cool.

Thanks cmeg! I asked Bjorn when he was here what he thought? He also liked it and felt it added an extra unique touch. The challenge I have is to keep it healthy and going. That means it cannot get too heavily shaded by the canopy above it but should be doable.

Vindeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Arakawa repotted into its new rectangular Koyo container. This year the small third trunk will be developed to start ramifying. There is an additional root graft at the back while another is almost complete right at the base of the larger trunk. It will be cut off leaving a short stump for safety in early summer. The tree was also planted lower into the pot and rotated slightly counterclockwise to tweak its front angle.

Coming along nicely, I sure do love the arakawa cultivar

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Such a beautiful tree! I love how it looks in its new pot

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Last edited:

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you use a standard acer for this root graft?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great work all around, love seeing the progression!!!

Thanks Jeremiah! When looking back, the main trunk has definitely thickened as evident in the uro towards the top closing up completely. I guess not bad for less than five years worth of development.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Did you propagate the cuttings yourself? Are they easy? Mine was 10ft tall but succumbed to (I'm guessing) pseudomonas and I had to dig it out last week :( sad times

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Did you propagate the cuttings yourself? Are they easy? Mine was 10ft tall but succumbed to (I'm guessing) pseudomonas and I had to dig it out last week :( sad times

I did not. I obtained the cutting from Adam (stickroot). Perhaps he can chime in here and share his experience. I can at least say that they air layer very easily!

One thing I recently did find out from Bjorn is that sometimes on older arakawas, the apex just dies back completely. Apparently this is one of the major drawbacks of this cultivar. In order to help mitigate this propensity, the apex must not be pruned too hard. Bjorn suggested to leaf prune the entire canopy with the exception of the two apexes in order to maintain their strength. So, while the apex will need to be pruned eventually, it must be done much more carefully than on other cultivars.

Top Bottom