Fig tree questions

sfeagan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a fig tree that my father-in-law planted a few years ago but it hasn't done much because of where he planted it. Should I prune it way back and then dig it up or try and air layer it in a couple places?

Attachments

• 19847A5B-1999-4EDB-B629-4CA0FD7B293E.jpeg
    19847A5B-1999-4EDB-B629-4CA0FD7B293E.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 44
  • D75B237E-A5A0-4E0B-82CD-5744E90B41F6.jpeg
    D75B237E-A5A0-4E0B-82CD-5744E90B41F6.jpeg
    330.3 KB · Views: 39
In my experience figs are pretty tough. I've ripped up trunks that were growing where I didn't want them to, put them in pots with almost no roots, and they survived the butchering. Cuttings taken from the semi-green growing tips also root very readily. This might be a good place to start if you are unsure about uprooting it and want to guarantee something survives. Are far as I know, air layering should work too, but I've never done that personally.

If you opt to dig it up, yes, cut it back to help it recover. ---Although if it's already dormant when you dig it up, cutting it back is less on an issue. If it's leafed out when you dig it up, it'll drop those leaves anyway to reduce moisture loss until it grows new roots. So, cutting it back does the same thing, but saves the tree a little extra moisture loss/stress.

Last edited:
If this is the fruit fig, the leaves don't reduce very well. You could try air layers to find out for yourself though!

Ficus carica - fruiting fig is bomb proof. You can cut as many roots as you like when lifting it and it will thrive afterward. you can cut as much as you like off the top and it will bud and thrive after. Don't bother with cuttings just dig this and chop it down.
Take note of the advice that leaves are pretty big so while they will survive almost anything you can do to it they almost always look awkward and unbalanced as bonsai.

Thanks for all the advice. I need to move it anyway so I'll probably did it up and chop it way down.

Back
Top Bottom