Ficus Trees - Not doing so well - Advice needed

Zako51

Yamadori
Reaction score
Good Evening Everyone,

Below are some images of my ficus trees. I had these trees outside all spring. summer and fall. During the winter, with what is expected in Austin, I moved them into the garage, with the anticipation of a normal cold winter. That was not the case, winter had been ridiculously warm. We have had more days during winter in the mid to upper 70's.

The problem, it has been very dry and very windy, which I am told ficus trees do not like.

I decided to bring them inside and put them on trays for some humidity and what you see below is how they look. They appear to be looking worse and worse. Should I wait it out (they have been inside for about a week) or should I put them back outside.

Thank you all for your help,

Kevinimage1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG

Gregory DeNinno

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks very thirsty :( How often are you watering it? With that shallow of a pot I would expect at least one a day. Mine live happily outside year round, but I'm in FL and I have brought them inside for the night twice this year when the nighttime temperature was forecasted to get down towards 40f.

Haydee

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi @Zako51 I live in Houston, and 95% of my trees are tropicals. I recommend you to put them outside and only to bring them in when the forecast is below 45º. They look thirsty and sad; I guess they need more sunlight and water. Also, be careful of putting them on trays with water, the can get rotten.. been there ..killed one, or two :) Hope it helps.

I bought this little green house at Amazon for "winter days in Houston"... Is doing the job so far. upload_2017-2-7_19-59-38.png

Zako51

Yamadori
Reaction score
It looks very thirsty :( How often are you watering it? With that shallow of a pot I would expect at least one a day. Mine live happily outside year round, but I'm in FL and I have brought them inside for the night twice this year when the nighttime temperature was forecasted to get down towards 40f.
Thank you, I was watering it every 3-4 days, I forgot about the shallow pot. Should I leave it inside or take it back outside? Looking at the 10 day forcast, we are not supposed to have any days under 40 degrees at night and the humidity is averaging between 45% and 70%.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The smaller one looks like a Microcarpa and seems fine. A few yellow leaves are pretty normal. The Benjamina does look a bit dry like Gregory said. I leave all my ficus outside all winter where lows get about 40. Good luck

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi @Zako51 I live in Houston, and 95% of my trees are tropicals. I recommend you to put them outside and only to bring them in when the forecast is below 45º. They look thirsty and sad; I guess they need more sunlight and water. Also, be careful of putting them on trays with water, the can get rotten.. been there ..killed one, or two :) Hope it helps.

I bought this little green house at Amazon for "winter days in Houston"... Is doing the job so far. View attachment 131262

That's a great little green house setup, I'd like one of those!

Thank you, I was watering it every 3-4 days, I forgot about the shallow pot. Should I leave it inside or take it back outside? Looking at the 10 day forcast, we are not supposed to have any days under 40 degrees at night and the humidity is averaging between 45% and 70%.

I think you have cracked it with the watering needs. Needs more frequent watering, in my humble opinion. The substrate looks mostly or all inorganic so along with a shallow pot, that'll also mean it needs watering much more frequently than organic.
About the humidity tray, I was told just to make sure the feet of the pot are a bit above the water, so no water hits bottom. Seen recommendations for putting little stones under the feet for higher elevation. Looks like you have set them up well :)

Top Bottom