Ficus Religiosa

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
Does anyone think this F. Religiosa has potential? I trunk chopped it about a month ago and It's now starting to send out buds everywhere. Has a very odd bulbous base.

1EeJXhE.jpg

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Looks like jinseng fig to me...
Have a look here what I did with mine:
http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2014/03/02/723/
At the moment I am going to try and develop some more roots over the bulging and make the trunk bigger and more interesting.
I would have cut it much higher but it did not have enough roots.
I might chopp it higher later. I made lots of little holes to promote roots. And I shall put it in the ground over a tyle in spring again to fatten the branches/trunks

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like a Ginseng Ficus. They are used a lot for Bonsai but do not make a realistic tree image with the bulbous roots. They are sort of like an abstract Bonsai IMO.

ed

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
It's not a ginseng ficus, I wouldn't have kept it if it was... I've seen the leaves on it and It's definitely F. Religiosa. If you don't believe me then you can wait till I post photos when the leaves are completely formed.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
It's not a ginseng ficus, I wouldn't have kept it if it was... I've seen the leaves on it and It's definitely F. Religiosa. If you don't believe me then you can wait till I post photos when the leaves are completely formed.
have you got a picture of the leaves? Any way it should be treated in the same manner as jinseng fig in this situation, since it has the same attributes.

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
No I do not but some of the leaves should be formed enough in a week or two to be able to identify. I was more offended that they didn't believe me in the identification. I agree that it isn't the most attractive looking tree right now but either way I'd like to train it since F. Religiosa is a rather rare species and quite sacred in some countries.

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
No I do not but some of the leaves should be formed enough in a week or two to be able to identify. I was more offended that they didn't believe me in the identification. I agree that it isn't the most attractive looking tree right now but either way I'd like to train it since F. Religiosa is a rather rare species and quite sacred in some countries.

No reason to be offended, it's a rather small picture to begin with. Religiosa aren't known for forming large, bulbous bases like this one, so it's easy to think it's a Ginseng.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It does look like the dreaded ginseng ficus because of those bulbous roots. If it were mine I would ground layer it a little above the current soil line once it starts growing strongly.

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
It does look like the dreaded ginseng ficus because of those bulbous roots. If it were mine I would ground layer it a little above the current soil line once it starts growing strongly.

This was what I was thinking too. I would probably do this and then train it into a banyan style.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Are you offended that people did not believe you or that they called your fig jinseng?
Some how I get the feeling that for you having ficus jinseng or being accused of having ficus jinseng is offensive.
I dont have preconceived ideas of any variety of trees. It is what You make from the tree that matters.
I would not have chopped this tree at the moment...the transition between the root and the two trunks,is very abrupt...you should have thickened the trunks before chopping them.

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
Are you offended that people did not believe you or that they called your fig jinseng?
Some how I get the feeling that for you having ficus jinseng or being accused of having ficus jinseng is offensive.
I dont have preconceived ideas of any variety of trees. It is what You make from the tree that matters.
I would not have chopped this tree at the moment...the transition between the root and the two trunks,is very abrupt...you should have thickened the trunks before chopping them.

I was offended that they didn't believe my identification of the tree, that is all.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Hey sorry to have offended you. I was thinking maybe you bought it labeled as a F. Religiosa and wound up with a mislabeled Ginseng, this happens all the time in all plants not just Bonsai. If you have already identified the leaves then this Ficus is just an anomaly.

ed

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
Upon a little more research, I think this may be Ficus Palmeri. It's a unique caudex forming ficus with leaves similar to that of F. Religiosa.

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
A Small Update

Attachments

• IMG_1695.jpg
    IMG_1695.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1700.jpg
    IMG_1700.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 49

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not Ficus Religiosa for sure. I have many F. Religiosa and they do not bulk up at the base like that and the leaves are not like that.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
This is how the leaves of ficus religiosa are...
I am very impressed how early you started bonsai. Keep it up and dont try to grow too old too soon...but it is a wonderful hobby, and I hope you enjoy it for the rest of your life.
Post the leaves again when they mature.

Attachments

• DSC08371 (413x550).jpg
    DSC08371 (413x550).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC08368 (417x550).jpg
    DSC08368 (417x550).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 40

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
Not Ficus Religiosa for sure. I have many F. Religiosa and they do not bulk up at the base like that and the leaves are not like that.

You can see earlier in the thread that I said this may be Ficus Palmeri. It's a unique caudex forming ficus with leaves similar to that of F. Religiosa.

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
This is how the leaves of ficus religiosa are...
I am very impressed how early you started bonsai. Keep it up and dont try to grow too old too soon...but it is a wonderful hobby, and I hope you enjoy it for the rest of your life.
Post the leaves again when they mature.

I think it may be F. Palmeri, it's a unique caudex forming Ficus with leaves similar to that of F. Religiosa. I'll make sure to post some more photos when the leaves have matured. Thank you for the kind words.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
There are many figs that can form a caudex like that in specific (abnormal) conditions...this is not palmerii also. Palmerii also has a long tip if I recall well.

Top Bottom