Ficus in shallow pots

Jorgens86

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently watchd Nigel Sounders video where He repotted his ficus and He mentions that ficus trees dont grow that well in shallow pots.
Hows all of yours opinion on that???!!!

I recently watchd Nigel Sounders video where He repotted his ficus and He mentions that ficus trees dont grow that well in shallow pots.
I think it is true especially for the trees in grow out stage. It is probably not that important if a ficus is a finished bonsai.

In the right conditions ficus can grow on rocks, in the air on a tree, in the ground, shallow pot, and a deep pot - They can grow pretty much anywhere, even in a house with a mouse!

Well, this is true, but Latvia and Canada (and NJ) are not tropical and don't have optimal conditions for ficus growing all the time.
I have 2 cuttings from the same plant one in a small pot and one in a large pot. The one in a large pot is triple the size of the other one.

I'm not sure about shallow pots, but ficus do tend to do better in smaller pots over larger pots in my experience. Once ficus get a little root bound they really get very vigourous.

I'm not sure about shallow pots, but ficus do tend to do better in smaller pots over larger pots in my experience. Once ficus get a little root bound they really get very vigourous.
They love to be imprisoned!!!

My willow leaf ficus forest and clump are both in very shallow pots. I usually trim them 3 or 4 times during the growing season.

I think we've come back around to the, "what's a bonsai pot for," discussion.

Is it practical or is it aesthetic?
Yes.

Is a bonsai pot required?
Yes. If your tree is not in a container it is either dead or not a bonsai.

What makes a bonsai pot different from a regular pot? Is it the wholes?
Sure, let's go with that. After all, it'd be pretty tough to boil pasta in a bonsai pot, so it's probably something about the holes.

I think that it all depends on a lot of factors like climate, fertilization, watering, state of development. In a climate where ficus thrive, you may have to repot the tree yearly in a too shallow pot. In a zone 7 you may do fine every 2-3 years. Here in TX if I place my ficus in a shallow pot it would probably raise itself out in a growing season. A tere in refinement where you are slowing it down as much as possible you should be ok with a shallow pot. This works for other species as well, I think it was either Ryan or Bjorn that said that they had trees moved into very shallow pots just for the shows, then moved back into slightly deeper pots right after it.

How deep is this pot?
2.25” deep, 18.5” wide, OD. The trunk’s base is about 12” wide at the soil level, so I would consider the pot shallow relative to the base and this tree grows quite well.

Many ficus trees are basically epiphytes, meaning soil is almost more for our convenience than the tree’s, so I’m not sure what the original assertion is based on.

2.25” deep, 18.5” wide, OD. The trunk’s base is about 12” wide at the soil level, so I would consider the pot shallow relative to the base and this tree grows quite well.

Many ficus trees are basically epiphytes, meaning soil is almost more for our convenience than the tree’s, so I’m not sure what the original assertion is based on.
Wow I didn't see how huge that tree is....

I think we've come back around to the, "what's a bonsai pot for," discussion.

Is it practical or is it aesthetic?
Yes.

Is a bonsai pot required?
Yes. If your tree is not in a container it is either dead or not a bonsai.

What makes a bonsai pot different from a regular pot? Is it the wholes?
Sure, let's go with that. After all, it'd be pretty tough to boil pasta in a bonsai pot, so it's probably something about the holes.

Bonsai pots are holy. We must not question the rules.

Back
Top Bottom