Ficus Benjamina yellow new leaves brown spots

You don't need soap. Just water. You don't need to scrub, either. Just get rid of most of the bad soil.
Thats right. Ad fresh soil and thats it.dont cut to many roots also.

Here’s during repot and finished. Here’s to hoping she comes back stronger than ever 🙏🤞 thanks for all the help I’ll post an update in a month or so

Attachments

• IMG_0584.jpeg
    IMG_0584.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0583.jpeg
    IMG_0583.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0582.jpeg
    IMG_0582.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 34
Nice tree! I think your ficus may be a type of microcarpa not benjamin, perhaps a tiger bark. Either way after looking at the whole tree I would consider cutting the apex back hard. It will take some stress off of the tree for the water needs after a repot and allow the lower branches to thicken and mature. It's your tree whatever you decide to do it should recover well.

Nice tree! I think your ficus may be a type of microcarpa not benjamin, perhaps a tiger bark. Either way after looking at the whole tree I would consider cutting the apex back hard. It will take some stress off of the tree for the water needs after a repot and allow the lower branches to thicken and mature. It's your tree whatever you decide to do it should recover well.
Don’t know where I got Benjamina maybe too many YouTube videos, looking at the eBay post the seller called it a retusa

True. get rid of apex so you dont loose lower branches. And use that uper branch as new apex
IMG_20240608_093320.jpg

True. get rid of apex so you dont loose lower branches. And use that uper branch as new apex
View attachment 550948
That seems aggressive I’m a little wary of that big a cut, to me it didn’t feel like I lost really that many roots honestly, unless they came off in the dirt removal process cause I didn’t cut that many. I will certainly defoliate and thin out branching of the canopy

In Florida at this time of year, I don't think that's considered a big cut

I have nearly a 100% success rate with cuttings from this type of microcarpa. I use the powder rooting hormone they sell at Lowe’s but I don’t even think that’s necessary.
If you think Jorgens suggestion is too aggressive maybe move up a few inches and use a higher branch for a new apex. You can leave it the way it is and I think the tree would recover just fine but if 90% of that apex was gone it would look more balanced.

I have nearly a 100% success rate with cuttings from this type of microcarpa. I use the powder rooting hormone they sell at Lowe’s but I don’t even think that’s necessary.
If you think Jorgens suggestion is too aggressive maybe move up a few inches and use a higher branch for a new apex. You can leave it the way it is and I think the tree would recover just fine but if 90% of that apex was gone it would look more balanced.
This is where we are at now, I’m thinking of taking this one because the taper is not good, thoughts? I’ve already taken several others including the old apex of the leader

Attachments

• IMG_0586.jpeg
    IMG_0586.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0585.jpeg
    IMG_0585.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 22
I can't tell if those pictures are blurry or if my eyes are getting worse than I thought. I would go with somewhere in between your mark and and the mark Jorgens made but in the end it is your tree, do what you think is best. Sometimes seeing the tree in person makes a difference we are just looking at 2D pictures.

2-3 weeks post repot new leaves are emerging but once getting somewhat of a full size leaf they are still yellowing and dropping…. Can it be my water??? I’ve had several species do the same thing over the last year. I do think overwatering was part of the issue but I don’t think it’s the whole story

Back
Top Bottom