Ficus Benjamina yellow new leaves brown spots

MomoBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Lately with this heat wave my ficus has been developing new growth that yellows and falls soon after. Brown to red spots on leaves. Large tree approx 50 yrs old I’ve had it 3 ish years now. Online research says watering inconsistent could be cause but I religiously water everyday once when I’m home at 3 and light water at dark usually. Likely due for a repot as I haven’t repotted since I got it I’m wondering if I should repot or is it just too hot to do it now? The wide view is healthy the zoom in is current condition

Attachments

• IMG_0491.jpeg
    IMG_0491.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_8296.jpeg
    IMG_8296.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 87
No im not sure I have a cheap moisture reader that won’t go past moist even after watering(how well it works the jury is still out it’s new). All I know is watering patterns haven’t really changed in 3 years and it hasn’t been sick like this before that I can remember. Top of the soil is pretty firm hard to dig a finger down in there more than half an inch or so. It’s been way too hot way too early this year also

I’m starting to think I need to do a water test cause some of my other species have been a little temperamental at this apartment also but they are much younger

I am not watering ficus daily yet in zone 10. That is a big pot and pumice holds a lot of water at the bottom. I would take it out and out on aa cardboard, see how much water comes out. If soil is not a tight ball in the shape of the container after 3 years something is wrong. Post photos if you think there is rot. If there is a fungus you may want to do a chemical root drench.
Are you growing on an apartment balcony... Which side does it face?

I am not watering ficus daily yet in zone 10. That is a big pot and pumice holds a lot of water at the bottom. I would take it out and out on aa cardboard, see how much water comes out. If soil is not a tight ball in the shape of the container after 3 years something is wrong. Post photos if you think there is rot. If there is a fungus you may want to do a chemical root drench.
Are you growing on an apartment balcony... Which side does it face?
yes apartment balcony. North ish. If facing out from balcony sun sets about 9:30-10 o’clock. Balcony gets pretty heavy direct sun from about 2-dark. I will take it out the pot and report back

See root ball photos. Haven’t really watered in 48 hrs but just a bit, underside is slightly damp but no more. Going to leave it on cardboard for few hours while I wait for advice

Attachments

• IMG_0576.jpeg
    IMG_0576.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0575.jpeg
    IMG_0575.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0574.jpeg
    IMG_0574.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0573.jpeg
    IMG_0573.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0571.jpeg
    IMG_0571.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0572.jpeg
    IMG_0572.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 64
sorry didn't see you replied. The roots look fine.
So you are dealing with leaf spot. It can be fungal or bacterial or leaf rust, which is uncommon in ficus unless you have canna or plumeria nearby? If not second most likely is bacterial, in which case you can use a product or bleach diluted to about 5% ONLY on things that are salt tolerant like some tropicals otherwise use CaCL

Looks more like root problem and it is a bit rootbound also. Oxigen cant get much to roots

Are any of the leaves folding up like a taco? If so it could have thrips. Hard to tell much from the picture.

Looks more like root problem and it is a bit rootbound also. Oxigen cant get much to roots
The soil is very compacted yes, hard to dig down more than half inch from the top. I think perhaps a repot is in order?

Could be... It looked like plenty of white tips, but... would you repot?
There is a relatively new aerial root that instead of rooting straight down it ran across the surface of the soil and went to the edge of the pot

Il repot it as soon as posible. Ficus can repot in midle of summer.

Back
Top Bottom