Fert Question

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I plan to transition from using 10-10-10 granular fertilizer on my bonsai to 6-5-4 granular. This is a wise move, yes? I heard recently 10-10-10 is not advised. Any input is helpful!

Thanks 🌲

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
NPK isn't being consumed or washed away with a 10-10-10 ratio. So therefore it doesn't make sense to add it in that ratio. I still think that 6 to 5 is pretty small ratio in favour of N.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
NPK isn't being consumed or washed away with a 10-10-10 ratio. So therefore it doesn't make sense to add it in that ratio. I still think that 6 to 5 is pretty small ratio in favour of N.
Which numbers would you recommend for optimal health and growth if not 6-5-4?

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have alkaline water, so I use Holly Tone, which happens to be a 4-3-4 fertilizer. A bit more phosphorus and potassium than necessary, but it gets the job done. If you don't need to adjust your pH for acid-loving plants, just use Osmocote or Miracle Gro.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have alkaline water, so I use Holly Tone, which happens to be a 4-3-4 fertilizer. A bit more phosphorus and potassium than necessary, but it gets the job done. If you don't need to adjust your pH for acid-loving plants, just use Osmocote or Miracle Gro.
I see Holly and Plant Tone and Osmocote at work all the time and have heard many people on here saying they use it with great success.

After watching a video warning about 10-10-10, I decided to go with 6-4-5 ratio.. but also ordered BIOGOLD (5-6-3) online tonight and picked up a low ratio liquid fish fertilizer as well. My JPN 1 exploded with growth and health last year with the 10-10-10 but I think I’m understanding the need to cut back.

I have not reached the level of testing my water pH levels but I’ve decided to begin collecting rain water and will use that when available (otherwise tap).

Also found this:
IMG_4030.jpeg
Charlottesville water results

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is very good that your tap water doesn't have fecal bacteria or beta particle radiation.
But for plants, what matters is hardness aka the bicarbonate.
Tap water having a bit of nitrate is good, for plants, because you add a tiny bit of fertilzer with each watering.

The thing with fertilizer is, you may be using 10-10-10 or 6-5-4 or 9-4-2 (aka 3-2-1), but usually just one of these is lacking in your substrate or soil. You just don't know which one.
Most likely, it is the nitrate, though.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I see Holly and Plant Tone and Osmocote at work all the time and have heard many people on here saying they use it with great success.

After watching a video warning about 10-10-10, I decided to go with 6-4-5 ratio.. but also ordered BIOGOLD (5-6-3) online tonight and picked up a low ratio liquid fish fertilizer as well. My JPN 1 exploded with growth and health last year with the 10-10-10 but I think I’m understanding the need to cut back.

I have not reached the level of testing my water pH levels but I’ve decided to begin collecting rain water and will use that when available (otherwise tap).

Also found this:
View attachment 532846
Charlottesville water results

I really like Biogold - that is my go-to. Along with liquid fish/kelp. Sometimes I will also add some organic blood meal pellets to up the nitrogen ratio a little bit because I think the blood meal is something like 12-0-0. I just add a little bit.

cmu268

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Biogold is my go-to, I replace/replenish every 4-6 weeks or so. And do a weekly watering with Neptune’s Harvest fish/kelp emulsion.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I went for chicken manure and yesterday added some organic for acid loving plants since I'm watering tap water in the summer. I'll be blending the two in a 3:1 ratio.

I have some allround soluble plant fertilizer that mimics murashige and skoog medium composition for cases that are hard to diagnose. It should reset everything if I dunk my pot in it.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well there is Ms media for sale all over, but I think it would be oddball ratios for fertilizing something. Interesting!

Top Bottom