Feedback on my first video

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I concur. I actually found Jelle's YT channel before I knew who he was on BN. I like it a lot although the editing has some room for improvement but that'll come in due time. The best bonsai video edits I've ever seen on YouTube are by Bonsai Releaf.
So how did you like the latest?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Haven't gotten to it yet.
Just realized today how much I've been ignoring my trees since I fenced them off to keep the dog from eating them. He's been doing better, so I think I'll move them back out and start catching up.

Doogliebop

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This one was much more dramatic and personal. It felt like you and the tree were having a moment and you let us the viewer, in to share it. Great job honestly.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Watched it first thing this morning actually. This one has marked improvement on editing and ambiance. 5/5⭐
Cannot promise I can retain such style though. Oddly enough, editing that video took me much longer, maybe 3 times as long. And recording takes a lot more effort took. And somehow I keep thinking.. Bonsai was the hobby, not video editing ;)

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
New video looked amazing and was a pleasure to watch. Still, I almost wish that you released two videos at the same time.

One video for people who want to watch someone do bonsai.

One video for people doing bonsai to learn more about doing bonsai.

Because for all the flair and ambience and music backdrop and close up slow mo unveiling of roots and detail shots... I would like to know about the process of creating this root over rock tree so I could learn and apply the techniques.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I always ask myself, going back to my film and music and media critique classes in college, the question of, "who is the intended audience". So when I watch your videos about actual work being performed with your commentary... its definitely about making videos for people who want to learn and improve their skills and who are actively engaged in the art and practice of bonsai.

But when I watch videos like your recent video, or many of the Mirai shorts, or Bjorn's videos... it comes across as an artistic purpose in itself with the audience being the creator's ego. "Hey look what I can do!". It is eye candy, if you will. But im not sure who watches for purely eye candy. Im sure people are watching wondering "why tin foil?" Or "how long have you been growing these roots" or "at what point do you start revealing them"...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But when I watch videos like your recent video, or many of the Mirai shorts, or Bjorn's videos... it comes across as an artistic purpose in itself with the audience being the creator's ego. "Hey look what I can do!". It is eye candy, if you will. But im not sure who watches for purely eye candy. Im sure people are watching wondering "why tin foil?" Or "how long have you been growing these roots" or "at what point do you start revealing them"...
excellent point. I am in fact trying how far I can push the artsi side. BUT then apply it to content-based stories. Basically, upping the quality. But to do this, I felt I needed to try my hand at doing speechless videos to really focus on what I am showing, and how I set a mood.

Dificult stuff! I start to understand why some people get paid serious money to fly around the world and "record and edit a bunch of videos".

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Really appreciated the recent Japanese black pine seedling cutting video for two reasons, not because it hasn't been done before, but because you did the effort of shooting the entire progression and provide a person with the complete picture from beginning to end. And secondly it's because i'm planning on making seedling cuttings in the near future, but i've been struggling to find a good source of "sand", so happy to know that vermiculite will serve the same purpose.

Altogether great video, thanks and keep it up

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really appreciated the recent Japanese black pine seedling cutting video for two reasons, not because it hasn't been done before, but because you did the effort of shooting the entire progression and provide a person with the complete picture from beginning to end. And secondly it's because i'm planning on making seedling cuttings in the near future, but i've been struggling to find a good source of "sand", so happy to know that vermiculite will serve the same purpose.

Altogether great video, thanks and keep it up
Looks like you are not the only one!

1695891866157.png

...!!!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Time....
The more subscribers you'll have, the more visibility and linked your channel gets.
The advantage you have.... somebody here on BN or in the comment of your video asks a question and you make a video. It's like a tutorial on demand. In my opinion that's your strength. +... your explanation is simple to understand.

Keep on filming... you'll get there 💪🍻

Just thought back about this comment.

Meanwhile I do not get 5K views in an hour, but certainly I am now at the point that 10K views in the first days is no longer an exception. Insane.
And.. What will happen this week?

1696946393509.png

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wanted to say thank you for putting the time and effort in making videos showing a tree/technique over a few weeks/seasons.

It really helps to see the changes in a single video rather then some other Youtubers who just reference/link to a previous video.
You're very welcome. I realize dthat most videos miss half of the story are you indicate, so yeah, trying to close that gap. But I must say, it is hard sometimes to have a coherent story over months. It is a lot easier to just shoot an hour and edit it down to a few minutes and be done. I am keeping track of about 30 projects, some will run over multiple YEARS before I releaase the full video..!

Top Bottom