Favorite sources for Japanese Maples and other Maples.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Wanted to maybe start a thread of resources people find thier Maples from. I typically Google search but I know sometimes there are hidden gems among stores that do not always pop up on a search at times. Would love to see where others like to shop for maple materials or even for mother plants (if after specfic cultivar ) and then to use as cutting and airlayering or rooting material.

hardtimes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
greengardenworks.com/viewcat.htm

a lot of japanese maple cultivars are grafted but brent grows his from cuttings so theres no unslightly graft mark on your maple, a lot of people who get grafted maples end up air layering them off the root stock

cheap green maple seedling

another green maple seedling except they claim that they have closer internodes and smaller leaves than the species.

sorry all three sources are from the west coast

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
greengardenworks.com/viewcat.htm

a lot of japanese maple cultivars are grafted but brent grows his from cuttings so theres no unslightly graft mark on your maple, a lot of people who get grafted maples end up air layering them off the root stock

cheap green maple seedling

another green maple seedling except they claim that they have closer internodes and smaller leaves than the species.

sorry all three sources are from the west coast
No worries if they ship 📦 yea I figured the graft part so I thought to find the cultivars then airlayer or cuttings to bonsai the resulting plant. Always down to find new places and see.

hardtimes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
No worries if they ship 📦 yea I figured the graft part so I thought to find the cultivars then airlayer or cuttings to bonsai the resulting plant. Always down to find new places and see.
yea they do, jonsteens and the etsy one have a whole bunch of other seedlings too, could be worth paying shipping for a few seedlings. the etsy one has species suited for bonsai only and some oddballs too

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mr maple has a lots of cultivars of JM, all of them are grafted. Very occasionally they will have seedlings for sale.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Eric Schrader has more non-grafted maples again I’m sure they won’t last long.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Have you ordered from them before, Mateo? If so, what was the experience like?
I have ordered from them quite a few times actually. I’ve had positive experiences with them. 99.9% of their trees are grafted unless specifically labeled as a seedling. Occasionally the trees are a little on the smaller size but they usually will tell you if they were recently up potted from liners. I have had two come in with broken branches that was caused by a third tree in the box shifting and they happily sent out a replacement so I honestly have no complaints. I do recommend reading their shipping info because they use two sizes of shipping box and it’s a flat rate for each size so read up on how many the boxes hold and maximize your shipping costs by filling your box. Also, they have good customer service if you have questions.

Arbol

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have ordered from them quite a few times actually. I’ve had positive experiences with them. 99.9% of their trees are grafted unless specifically labeled as a seedling. Occasionally the trees are a little on the smaller size but they usually will tell you if they were recently up potted from liners. I have had two come in with broken branches that was caused by a third tree in the box shifting and they happily sent out a replacement so I honestly have no complaints. I do recommend reading their shipping info because they use two sizes of shipping box and it’s a flat rate for each size so read up on how many the boxes hold and maximize your shipping costs by filling your box. Also, they have good customer service if you have questions.

Good to know! Will definitely check them out when I get confident with my air layering skills. Thank you!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Good to know! Will definitely check them out when I get confident with my air layering skills. Thank you!
That's my thoughts too, especially since many cultivars are so beautiful and I think that added effect to a bonsai would be amazing . One can always use the grafted tree as mother tree and take cuttings or air or ground layers for bonsai material as they grow

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ill be opening a store in the next two to three years as I build out suitable inventory, working on a name right now. I own a side hustle pruning business and I source a lot of my material from clients cuttings from pruning jobs. Occasionally I will run into some urbandori and turn it into a mother tree.

I too can't stand how all the good material comes from the west coast and that became my motivation to start something on the east coast.

Arbol

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's my thoughts too, especially since many cultivars are so beautiful and I think that added effect to a bonsai would be amazing . One can always use the grafted tree as mother tree and take cuttings or air or ground layers for bonsai material as they grow
Definitely, I know there are a few people on here that have made cheat sheets with the different maple cultivars and how well those cultivars air layer. I'll look around and try and find it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Ill be opening a store in the next two to three years as I build out suitable inventory, working on a name right now. I own a side hustle pruning business and I source a lot of my material from clients cuttings from pruning jobs. Occasionally I will run into some urbandori and turn it into a mother tree.

I too can't stand how all the good material comes from the west coast and that became my motivation to start something on the east coast.
Keep me posted if willing definitely be awesome to have grower in this part of the country

NateDyk47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are you looking to buy a particular cultivar, or just plain Japanese Maples?

How many are you looking to buy? If you don't need a particular cultivar and you're buying more than a couple, I'd suggest looking into farms that have bulk seedlings.

I've bought various trees from each of these and have had good experiences. I've gotten batches of 25 trident & japanese maple for about $100. There are many other farms too, but I generally prefer ones that are local or at least have a similar climate.

Tahoebonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Wanted to maybe start a thread of resources people find thier Maples from. I typically Google search but I know sometimes there are hidden gems among stores that do not always pop up on a search at times. Would love to see where others like to shop for maple materials or even for mother plants (if after specfic cultivar ) and then to use as cutting and airlayering or rooting material.
Cedarrosenursery.com Dylan has some amazing maples

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Are you looking to buy a particular cultivar, or just plain Japanese Maples?

How many are you looking to buy? If you don't need a particular cultivar and you're buying more than a couple, I'd suggest looking into farms that have bulk seedlings.

I've bought various trees from each of these and have had good experiences. I've gotten batches of 25 trident & japanese maple for about $100. There are many other farms too, but I generally prefer ones that are local or at least have a similar climate.
Definitely specfic cultivars . Ik many may lean to the astetics of some cultivars or typical Japanese maple but I wanted a couple different ones with their own looks leaf wise and ik being some are variegated will grow even slower but idm since it's the journey not just end result for me with the holy and bonsai. (That comment is not ment as a dig to others, but often see some post they want insta speed on growth and finish a bonsai to move on to next tree but for me I enjoy the process even if never finish it so I don't wish anyone to take my difference on the journey as a negative comment against another's journey or enjoyment) mentioned only as how I view it for myself ) I think their are so many ways to do and enjoy things we all should experience it in our own way . As for them being grafted isn't an issue for me as they can be mother plants for ones ill bonsai down the road but would ideally be 1 quart size or 1 gallon nothing bigger personally for me . I did start about 90 seeds of over 5 cultivars they were harvested from and ik they won't be true to seed other then being Japanese maple (acer palmatum, acer shirasawanum, acer japonitum(spelt that wrong I think) ) but hopefully will get couple having a neat look likewise to parent or anything in-between

Applicative

Sapling
Reaction score
Ones I like:

Bloom river
Singtree nursery
mendocinomaples.com

I like them both for there inventory, and they are kind, helpful small growers.

Top Bottom