Exposed root Japanese Maple...

Pots of Erik KriĹľovenskĂ˝ came at once in my mind, Darlene :)

1798.jpg
1836.jpg
1427.jpg

Since it was mentioned to use moss that was from the ground and not on rocks earlier...

That's odd....

The tightest moss I find is directly on concrete....no dirt.

I noticed recently....

That it isn't necessarily the cracks between the sidewalks that hold moss....

But the cardboard like material used for expansion joints that hold a lot of moisture.....

I have been thinking about cultivating moss on it for that quality.

Tree looks way better!

Some of that shaggy across the bottom even dotted in the top....would look nice!

Moss moss the magical tool.

Sorce

That's odd....

The tightest moss I find is directly on concrete....no dirt.

I noticed recently....

That it isn't necessarily the cracks between the sidewalks that hold moss....

But the cardboard like material used for expansion joints that hold a lot of moisture.....

I have been thinking about cultivating moss on it for that quality.

Tree looks way better!

Some of that shaggy across the bottom even dotted in the top....would look nice!

Moss moss the magical tool.

Sorce
Unless I misunderstood the comment...I got it was to come from soil. I've moss on my Virginia Creeper as well as my wisteria that I collected...and a few accent pots. Love moss...a lovely tray of different ones would pretty as well.

I left some lichen at the top of the top. But did ponder if doing moss would have shown more fluid movement in the base of the connecting root. Food for thought...easily to change out or put back to be honest. I did think of adding some of the fern like moss at one place at the bottom where it meets the soil...more like it's on the substrate against it. The ferns so miniature look cute. It's a moss I didn't use previously.

Thanks on the compliment of the tree. My husband is in love with it. I think it turned out decent. But will hate to try and put it into a classification style now. It's not a ROR...for there is no rock. So...for now...it's just a Japanese Maple. And I'm okay with that. Dumb it down...it doesn't need a style to claim to make it a bonsai.

This has so much amazing potential. I have to say this is such a unique and awesome J.maple. Get a little bit sorted with the branches and a good pot and this will be something to look at!

This has so much amazing potential. I have to say this is such a unique and awesome J.maple. Get a little bit sorted with the branches and a good pot and this will be something to look at!
Thanks Giga...Sergio mentioned when he finds time doing a possible virt. as well. Which I would love his take. His knowledge on maples and his trees are top notch. So I am up for some direction to maybe use as vision to shoot for.

A good starter pre-bonsai for sure.

Thanks Giga...Sergio mentioned when he finds time doing a possible virt. as well. Which I would love his take. His knowledge on maples and his trees are top notch. So I am up for some direction to maybe use as vision to shoot for.

A good starter pre-bonsai for sure.

Yeah I would listen to him for advice for sure, but I think this is past the point of pre bonsai - more like mid stage bonsai:D

I think this will be a fun item to practice so many basic deciduous techniques on. I get a little nervous when some of my maples get closer to this point. Can I handle it in timely manner :eek: Stay tuned!

I think this will be a fun item to practice so many basic deciduous techniques on. I get a little nervous when some of my maples get closer to this point. Can I handle it in timely manner :eek: Stay tuned!

How many maples for you own!?! Just curious by your comment.

How many maples for you own!?! Just curious by your comment.
Not a whole lot, but one can still be a lot of work.
I have: 2x Tridents, 1x Amur, 1x Shantung, 5 or 6x Acer palmatum cultivars that are further along (one of which is in the time capsule so two more years to go), then I have some seedlings and miscellany. The Shantung and some of the Acer Palmatums are further along and closer to your tree's level of refinement.

@MACH5 ... better? I absolutely LOVE it! Thanks for helping me figure out where to look.

Thanks for the feed back everyone...much appreciated.
View attachment 139945 View attachment 139947 View attachment 139949
View attachment 139950
View attachment 139951
View attachment 139952
Back to the greenhouse...snow coming in the forecast...gotta love Ohio!
View attachment 139953
Darlene,
I see quite a few leaf tips turning brown. Do you know why and what is the issue? Cold damage? I had a few on my maple which hasn't seen temp lower than 50 that has that problem. Just curious.
NN

Not a whole lot, but one can still be a lot of work.
I have: 2x Tridents, 1x Amur, 1x Shantung, 5 or 6x Acer palmatum cultivars that are further along (one of which is in the time capsule so two more years to go), then I have some seedlings and miscellany. The Shantung and some of the Acer Palmatums are further along and closer to your tree's level of refinement.

I've heard ones mention tridents alone...one is enough on one's bench. Assuming they are beaptly growers.

I've this J. Maple, an Almur maple regaining it's strength. And one potted ryusen that is really not bonsai...just my husband's favorite tree that died way back from artic spells that I'm training to be taller. You by far have my number beat. Lol

Darlene,
I see quite a few leaf tips turning brown. Do you know why and what is the issue? Cold damage? I had a few on my maple which hasn't seen temp lower than 50 that has that problem. Just curious.
NN
It's from it being in a greenhouse and my mucking it outside the tips burnt from sun. Should have done it in the greenhouse. But wasn't thinking. It was a balmy 66F and it felt good to he outside.

It's from it being in a greenhouse and my mucking it outside the tips burnt from sun. Should have done it in the greenhouse. But wasn't thinking. It was a balmy 66F and it felt good to he outside.
Was it windy when you did the work? 66 seems low to get burnt. Just me thinking.

Back
Top Bottom