European Spruce #91

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
European Spruce #91 - another exiting new project. The tree went onto the slab by Josef Rauscher on July 31. It would be possible to try to finally style the tree now, but it would not be prudent. Only one major offnese in a vegetation period. So I will now patiently wait for one yer and then finally style the spruce. It has waited for this for 100 years . So one year more does not make much difference.1.jpg2.jpg2022-06-TSC_6455x.jpg2022-06-TSC_6479x.jpg2022-06-TSC_6479x.jpg2022-06-TSC_6480x.jpg2022-06-TSC_6481x.jpg2022-06-TSC_6482x.jpg2022-06-TSC_6482x.jpg2022-06-TSC_6485x.jpg2022-08-TSC_6883x.jpg

Attachments

• 2022-06-TSC_6484x.jpg
    2022-06-TSC_6484x.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 2

jerzyjerzy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I bet that if I repotted a spruce in the middle of Summer, it would be dead in a week... ;) (I mean, I tried, and the spruce died.)
Is this a standard procedure for you, Walter? Do you follow it with some special aftercare, or it just works?

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I bet that if I repotted a spruce in the middle of Summer, it would be dead in a week... ;) (I mean, I tried, and the spruce died.)
Is this a standard procedure for you, Walter? Do you follow it with some special aftercare, or it just works?
You can take it as a fact that I can choose any one of 365 days of the year to do this. I chose July 31. Guess why? Either I am an idiot or i know soething which is not common knowledge in the bonsai community yet. The tree needs no special aftercare. It will be moderatly cool and moist in the next two weeks. Then it is end of summer soon anyway.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Walter Pall , hope this reaches you;
Is it safe to assume that repotting can be done at any time of the year as long as a period of moderate weather follows? Say. Below 26 C? I would love to have more writing on this, from you, like your watering and substrate blog post!

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Walter Pall , hope this reaches you;
Is it safe to assume that repotting can be done at any time of the year as long as a period of moderate weather follows? Say. Below 26 C? I would love to have more writing on this, from you, like your watering and substrate blog post!
No, only when there will bne an active growth period after this. This is the case in spring - here from beginning of April to May 10 or from beginning of August to f September 7. I>t depends on your local climate and your latitude and the species of tree and your experience. This is a long story. I am absolutely not expanding this heree as a whole book can be written about it.

For those who now believe that I must have a very special situation which makes this posiblle and not for them - my climate and situation is about the same as in northern PA for example. This is very well possible in the USA. - no excuses.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Walter Pall that is a succinct answer, I appreciate the wisdom! Although, if you did write a book on the topic, I would happily read it! I might even brush up on my German for that occasion :)

Top Bottom