Euonymus Broom Progression

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Current state 2021:

5A08F345-1863-460E-9962-97D03FB442EB.jpeg

2018 I found this burning bush growing as a volunteer in the side of the house. About 8’ tall and multi trunk, I chopped it early spring and let it grow in ground for a year. It responded with a ton of new4A1FE833-8BD7-49CB-B7C0-120A8FE0E312.jpeg

2019 I started the dig.

E39A1809-D0AF-4643-B476-4148973F7399.jpeg

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
CA2E87CF-9E91-464F-B419-57C155EEB720.jpeg

The big chop is closing. Faster than I assumed it would.

My mode of operation for this guy is to basically let it run all year, when branches fork select the one I want as the dominant line and trim back the others. I have only gotten one flush per season but it is super consistent to back bud.

The new growth is so pretty on these.

CADC900A-A01F-4338-9E1B-909644CEB932.jpeg

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Love to see some fall color. Should be quite a show.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love to see some fall color. Should be quite a show.
I wasn’t able to get it enough sun this year to really pop. (Most of my benches are partially shaded with the heat we have here.)

I’ll try more full sun this year and see how it responds!

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The coloring is kind of a mystery to me. The lower part of the trunk is a nice pale white and cleans up really well. The upper trunk was covered in green algae, I scrubbed it down and it has this nice reddish bark. Looks like maybe as it ages it will continue to whiten.

These grow such nice fibrous roots. Eventually I will get this in a much smaller pot. The root ball is good and flat now.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Looks great. I have some E. fortunei that I am developing, hoping to go for a similar style.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is fantastic and I love where this is headed in the next year or two! I just started with the species this spring and the roots are crazy prolific. Mine all have similar bark as yours where I exposed during repotting.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cut it back hard after letting it grow all summer and it's pushing another small flush of growth!

Jiminsauga

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cut it back hard after letting it grow all summer and it's pushing another small flush of growth!
When you say cut back hard, does that mean you're cutting back to the first set of leaves?

Also, do you know if leaving say two sets of leaves means you'll get four secondary branches the next year? I have budding at each leafbut I don't know if that translates to a new beach each or just flowers next spring.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When you say cut back hard, does that mean you're cutting back to the first set of leaves?

Also, do you know if leaving say two sets of leaves means you'll get four secondary branches the next year? I have budding at each leafbut I don't know if that translates to a new beach each or just flowers next spring.

I think it depends on how strong the tree is. On this cutback I’m going back to anywhere from one to six nodes.

This spring it pushed new growth on just about every available node/bud

Jiminsauga

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think it depends on how strong the tree is. On this cutback I’m going back to anywhere from one to six nodes.

This spring it pushed new growth on just about every available node/bud
Thanks, that's reassuring.

Your tree is making great progress. 👍

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Good documentation on the process. Thanks for sharing! Did the leaves reduce size from when it was originally in the ground?

Top Bottom