ethical seller/buyer question

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wondering what others think of a situation where a buyer approaches you to find a tree that they want to purchase, then back out after several months of you the seller holding the tree for them. I don't like taking the $$ for a tree I'm holding just in case there is a health problem that occurs with the tree during the hold. I can understand that the impetus or your focus might change but does that mean your responsibility of agreeing to a deal should not be honored?

Rude, but nothing you can do about it. I guess you're only option is not to hold trees. When buyer is ready the tree might or might not still be available.

Rude, but nothing you can do about it. I guess you're only option is not to hold trees. When buyer is ready the tree might or might not still be available.
Yes I suppose I’ve learned something in this situation. I just try to treat others like I would want to be treated.

Personally, I have never sold any of my trees (kill most of them long before anyone would actually want to pay for them😒) but in any event, I think I would require a rather large nonrefundable deposit up front before I would hold anything for a buyer. If it were something requiring maintenance for any length of time, I believe I would also think about an ongoing boarding fee.

I do like to trust everyone, but it's just easier to do when both sides have skin in the game.

Wondering what others think of a situation where a buyer approaches you to find a tree that they want to purchase, then back out after several months of you the seller holding the tree for them. I don't like taking the $$ for a tree I'm holding just in case there is a health problem that occurs with the tree during the hold. I can understand that the impetus or your focus might change but does that mean your responsibility of agreeing to a deal should not be honored?

This happens a lot to me -- at first glance people are very enthusiastic about a tree, want to reserve it right away, but then that excitement cools and they back out (for a number of possible reasons/excuses, the most common one being a persuasive spouse or bank account). After going through this a few times, I work with deposits now. It actually happened with Canada Bonsai itself this summer; I accepted a 25% deposit on the agreed upon price (from a rep from a large Canadian garden center), we signed a deal, and then they walked away after 8 months of delays and excuses...

The demand is so high for material that I assume you would likely find another buyer overnight if you wanted to? Although this is beside the point of course, and I agree with you that people should honour their word. I remember just 20 years ago (I was a kid) I could run a tab at the convenience store based solely on word and trust - times have changed :confused:

Disappointing when someone acts with no integrity. I’d probably only agree to hold something until I got another offer, and then the original buyer gets a day to refuse or complete the transaction and then I’m moving on to the next offer.

I had a similar situation recently on an office suite I’m leasing out. When the guy who committed to the lease didn’t sign it, it went right back on the market, sign back out front where he can see it driving by every day. I’m not chasing him and not likely to take his phone call.

Need to take a non-refundable deposit to cover your time and effort. Also makes the prospective buyer think twice before backing out.

I have had too many disappointments, both as seller as well as buyer that I now want a financial commitment. After that, I am happy to hold a tree. But when I buy, I pay, and when I sell I ask for a downpayment.

Unfortunately a word is not worth much anymore.

Wigert’s will hold a tree but only after payment- then boarding is $2 per week.
I say don’t hold them or hold for a limited time.

I would request a nonrefundable deposit up front. That way you have some assurance they are serious and protected in case you lose another sale. The last tree I bought from Zach required a deposit and the final payment when it was ready to ship almost a year later.

For me it would depend on the situation..a job loss or something else financially devastating would be understandable. However if it’s just because someone decided they didn’t want the tree or found another tree they wanted instead then that’s inexcusable.

For me it would depend on the situation..a job loss or something else financially devastating would be understandable. However if it’s just because someone decided they didn’t want the tree or found another tree they wanted instead then that’s inexcusable.
Yeah, if it had been something like something like that I would for sure be ok with it. Sadly it started that way... car trouble- then delayed payment (which is why I didn't press for the payment) .... Then found another tree, and decided not to finish the deal. So I have mixed feelings about the whole experience.

Thanks all for your responses, while it doesn't change anything, it does make my perspective feel a little less harsh.

Yeah, if it had been something like something like that I would for sure be ok with it. Sadly it started that way... car trouble- then delayed payment (which is why I didn't press for the payment) .... Then found another tree, and decided not to finish the deal. So I have mixed feelings about the whole experience.

Thanks all for your responses, while it doesn't change anything, it does make my perspective feel a little less harsh.

Agreed that "finding another tree" is not acceptable. Life problems I get, stuff happens, but committing to buy and then backing out for another of the same thing? ehhhh

I think requiring a non-refundable deposit is pretty reasonable. I have ordered trees out of season from Wigert's ,Zach Smith, Wm Valvannis and Nuccios and they require payment, even if they don't ship for months.

Everyone gets burned once or twice.
If you're not trading in trees all the time you have the option of being picky about who you deal with, or just say no to tracking down trees for others, mostly solving the problem. But if you ARE then I agree, it's reasonable to ask for a deposit or down payment in many circumstances.

That said, it's always wise to contact your client again before you finalize a deal to procure the tree for them, and make sure they're still in.

Everyone gets burned once or twice.
If you're not trading in trees all the time you have the option of being picky about who you deal with, or just say no to tracking down trees for others, mostly solving the problem. But if you ARE then I agree, it's reasonable to ask for a deposit or down payment in many circumstances.

That said, it's always wise to contact your client again before you finalize a deal to procure the tree for them, and make sure they're still in.
Oh believe me there was plenty of communication along the way right up till the reneging of the agreement.

Back
Top Bottom