Epoxy Putty?

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Has anyone ever used epoxy putty as a wound sealant?
I as because I did a chop on a large (3-4 inch trunk) ficus a few days ago and it is still pushing a lot of water out of then wound.

Since ficus typically heal fast I normally don't worry about sealing wounds but for this big wound I attempted to use Elmer's glue. But it wouldn't harden and just washed away.

I also asked about using epoxy putty because I did a search on google (epoxy putty as wound sealant) and it came back with Chinese epoxy wound sealant for trees.
Is it the same thing? Do I need to worry about toxins? Since the epoxy cures and hardens in -15 min I'd think not.

Any help would be greatful
Thanks in advance
Kevin

Yep. I use it to fill holes so the callus tissue has something to grow across. I've used it on Japanese beech and arakawa maple with no ill effects over the last 5 years or so.

Good info Brian ! I have thought of this before but worried as Kevin had posted above whether toxins may be a problem. Do you mean that you leave the epoxy paste in the hole and let the callous tissue grow over it ? I also use finger tip caulk, its a clay like substance with the consistency of play dough that sticks well and is totally non toxic, I have it on many holes left where branches were removed on my Scheffelera too .

ed

Last edited:
Thanks again Bryan, that worked fantastic too ! The callous tissue grew over and it seems to have fused well to the putty leaving it look as if it was never there, great job. I downloaded the pdf and saved it for reference. That is what I love about this place, finding tried and proven remedies that I would have never thought of from knowledgeable people such as yourself. Great progression piece too by the way. Thanks again !

ed

Great progression Brian!
And thank you for the clearing up my concerns!

I'm glad I asked as this already seems that it will help Ed and hopefully many more:)

Back
Top Bottom