Enough Light?

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I figured I should verify that this is enough light for my Tiger Bark Ficus microcarpa?

20150119_132030.jpg

It's the sunniest spot in our apartment, at least the sunniest that I have to work with is what I should say.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It should be OK. It won't really thrive, but it should survive.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
that might take a few years...Just remember that the distance from the window directly effects how strong the light is that reaches the leaves. That coupled with the fact that many windows, especially in warmer climates, have reflective and UV blockers built into the glass or film between glass panes. Unless it gets below 50F or so during the night, you may well be better off keeping the tree outdoors in direct sunlight.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
In Central Florida, you should be able to keep the tree outside from February through November. Do that and it will grow many times as fast as it would if kept indoors.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The only reason I didn't suggest them putting the tree outdoors is because they live in an apartment and I'm not sure if they have an outdoor space.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The answer to his question, then, is "probably."

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only reason I didn't suggest them putting the tree outdoors is because they live in an apartment and I'm not sure if they have an outdoor space.

^this.

We do not have an outdoor space that is our own, and as this is low income housing we don't trust the people, kids and adults alike, to leave it alone. The majority of people here just do not care about other people's property. An example would be that we had two poinsettia plants that I put out into the rain last week. Well, I came back and someone had kicked the one so that it was on it's side and one of the branches was broken.

Someday we'll be in a house, but we're waiting on Habitat for Humanity to open up applications. We have been waiting seven months, so hopefully it will be soon and then we just have to build our home on their timeline.

If the above style is out, is there anything that I can do with it style wise?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
^this.

We do not have an outdoor space that is our own, and as this is low income housing we don't trust the people, kids and adults alike, to leave it alone. The majority of people here just do not care about other people's property. An example would be that we had two poinsettia plants that I put out into the rain last week. Well, I came back and someone had kicked the one so that it was on it's side and one of the branches was broken.

Someday we'll be in a house, but we're waiting on Habitat for Humanity to open up applications. We have been waiting seven months, so hopefully it will be soon and then we just have to build our home on their timeline.

If the above style is out, is there anything that I can do with it style wise?

Well, if you really want to open your options up, try getting a grow light and really diving into this addictive hobby. A 4x4 foot T8 light will help this tree grow better than the window. You'll be able to choose from styles easier once the tree starts to grow.

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, if you really want to open your options up, try getting a grow light and really diving into this addictive hobby. A 4x4 foot T8 light will help this tree grow better than the window. You'll be able to choose from styles easier once the tree starts to grow.

I had discussed that with my wife and her answer was a firm no. To get going above and beyond putting it near a window is to much involvement and cost. To get its not a justifiable cost. It's kinda like me and reptiles. From the time that I was seven years old until I had to move back in with my parents at age 34 I had kept reptiles as pets. I met my wife and get back out of my parent's home and my wife has said absolutely no reptiles we come into our home.

Sadly, I am sick with what I got till we get ourselves a house where I can put it outside our at the very least get T8 light.

After all, happy wife happy life, right?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I had discussed that with my wife and her answer was a firm no. To get going above and beyond putting it near a window is to much involvement and cost. To get its not a justifiable cost. It's kinda like me and reptiles. From the time that I was seven years old until I had to move back in with my parents at age 34 I had kept reptiles as pets. I met my wife and get back out of my parent's home and my wife has said absolutely no reptiles we come into our home.

Sadly, I am sick with what I got till we get ourselves a house where I can put it outside our at the very least get T8 light.

After all, happy wife happy life, right?

No reptiles? That's rough. I love my Beardie.

Reaction score
You never know, you may be meeting the environmental needs of your tree.

My Ficus retusa (from Walmart, no less) actually does better inside during the Winter with no special circumstance given to light (it's on the kitchen counter) than it did outside during the growing season. It may be due to the higher humidity inside than out. Plenty of new, healthy growth, without legginess.

Check your light levels. If you have a smart phone, download a light meter app. I've found that florescent and LED lights from a foot away put out around 14.4 lux, which is the same amount of light that penetrates the glass window at work, where I've had a Bougainvillea living. Your bright, direct light location may just be good enough.

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You never know, you may be meeting the environmental needs of your tree.

My Ficus retusa (from Walmart, no less) actually does better inside during the Winter with no special circumstance given to light (it's on the kitchen counter) than it did outside during the growing season. It may be due to the higher humidity inside than out. Plenty of new, healthy growth, without legginess.

Check your light levels. If you have a smart phone, download a light meter app. I've found that florescent and LED lights from a foot away put out around 14.4 lux, which is the same amount of light that penetrates the glass window at work, where I've had a Bougainvillea living. Your bright, direct light location may just be good enough.

Thank you for the suggestion. I went and downloaded a light meter app and it shows a range from a high of 630 down to 275 lux or so. That is with cloudy skies and rain on the way.

I'm pretty sure that it will be much higher with the sun shining.

edit: the light was just a bit stronger as the clouds thinned out a little allowing the sun to shine through a bit more and my high reading was 3401 lux with a low reading of 1000 lux.

edit 2: with the sun a bit brighter at 2pm with a light cloud covering, the meter shot up and pinned at 10,000 lux at it's highest and 4800 or so at it's lowest.

Last edited:

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That coupled with the fact that many windows, especially in warmer climates, have reflective and UV blockers built into the glass or film between glass panes.

I also wanted to make a comment on this as I didn't when this was posted.

If this was a house or regular apartment building I would agree with you, however these apartments were built specifically as low income housing. So they building materials are as cheap as can be, but meet code from back in the early 2000's. These windows are aluminum single pane cheap windows. The screens don't even fit into the frames right and leave large gaps where bugs can get in. I cannot tell you how many times we have all been bitten, especially my 2 year old daughter by mosquitoes and fire ants when these windows are opened which we try to do when the weather is cooler to save on our electric bill.

So there are no reflective properties or UV blockers. It is a clear piece of glass.

Top Bottom