Elm Design

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Any thoughts on whether to create distinct foliage pads or go for a fully filled-in look?

Thanks.

Attachments

• elm.jpg
    elm.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 79

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Any thoughts on whether to create distinct foliage pads or go for a fully filled-in look?

Thanks.
It looks like you have plenty of branching for a full tree. I’d just prune to shape. General pruning principles.
I.e. cutting of shoots growing straight up, down, or towards the trunk,

What kind of elm do you have here?

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It looks like you have plenty of branching for a full tree. I’d just prune to shape. General pruning principles.
I.e. cutting of shoots growing straight up, down, or towards the trunk,

What kind of elm do you have here?
Thanks. For ramification, should I spend the whole growing season, including now, pinching after the second nodes? Or does that drain the tree, putting out new shoots that are cut-off after just 2 nodes?

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks. For ramification, should I spend the whole growing season, including now, pinching after the second nodes? Or does that drain the tree, putting out new shoots that are cut-off after just 2 nodes?

You want to let it grow to like 7 leaves then prune back to one or two.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I would think in terms of balancing the energy/vigor of the foliage on the tree.

Decide where you would like more foliage or thickening, and let those regions of the tree run wild.
Prune liberally (back to 1 or 2 nodes) on those thicker denser branches/slow them down.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Personally, I really don't like really defined pads. I think more along the lines of spaces interspersed around the canopy. Your tree is well on its way to that.

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You want to let it grow to like 7 leaves then prune back to one or two.
Trying to understand the energy usage and creation. If the tree uses energy to put out shoots of 6-7 nodes long, then all but 1 are removed before those little, new leaves can send energy back to the tree through photosynthesis, doesn't the tree lose energy with that process?

JRBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trying to understand the energy usage and creation. If the tree uses energy to put out shoots of 6-7 nodes long, then all but 1 are removed before those little, new leaves can send energy back to the tree through photosynthesis, doesn't the tree lose energy with that process?
The energy the tree uses for this year's growth is stored energy from last year's growth. It uses this reserve to put out new shoots this year. When you prune these shoots back, the energy reserve will be redirected towards another growing tip or bud. All you're effectively doing is redirect the growth.

Now of course this years growth is going to dictate the energy capacity of next year. If you try to keep a perfectly chiseled silhouette all year round you're going to kill the tree with kindness by robbing it of the chance to store energy.
That's why we only start to work on trees once they are strong and vigorous, and even then you must still let them return to strong and vigorous growth periodically.

Top Bottom