Eastern Hemlock Yamidori x2

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collected two super healthy Eastern Hemlock today, really nice root systems on them to boot, lots of fines.

Hemlock #1 (twin trunk)

20231227_002939.jpg
20231227_002933.jpg
Hemlock #2
20231226_234517.jpg
20231226_234953.jpg

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you keeping them outside over winter? Any plans for styling?

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
Can't say I would collect those as there a too young and not a lot of character - Also good luck with them - they don't like direct sun and being fired in the the sun - least the ones I have had over the years.

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't say I would collect those as there a too young and not a lot of character - Also good luck with them - they don't like direct sun and being fired in the the sun - least the ones I have had over the years.
I'd personally plant them in a pond basket or even better back in soil to thicken them up nicely.

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most of the hemlock i find grow straight straight trunked. The woods behind my house only has 1 hemlock and it is quite old, maybe a 6 inch trunk, nice movement, but is really leggy. It has the nicest bark I've run into on a hemlock, never seen anything but smooth bark on them. Not sure how well they back bud, especially on old growth. I have tried to read up and see if they air layer well but couldn't really find any info, would love to air layer it one of these years if possible, one portion has some nice movement.
Screenshot_20240112_225353_Gallery.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is one of those tree species that I think doesn't get the attention it deserves.

And if you are worried about giving it character - just plant it by some Duke Energy power lines - all the rough development will be done for you for years!

Top Bottom