Dwarf jade styling / cuttings

nurvbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A?
hey bonsai friends

i got around to sitting down and trying to style this jade today while keeping in mind i was trying to collect cuttings to propagate for future forest planning and maybe even mame or shohin.

how did I do? should I go back more? my lighting isn’t great so please understand and hope this enough to go on.

i appreciate it very much!

Attachments

• IMG_2763.jpeg
    IMG_2763.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2762.jpeg
    IMG_2762.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 53
Follow up addendum, do I wait approx 1-3 months and or a year for root division then up pot into bonsai?

Hey there, nice looking little P Afra starter. Most peoples mistake with these trees are not being aggressive enough when pruning. You can literally cut it down to tiny stubs leaving no leaves and if it has the right conditions it'll bounce back like nothing happened. The issue you have is the plant is too tall for the trunk width. You've got 2 relatively long trunks that are straight and about the same size as the trunk. At a minimum I'd cut at all of the red lines here, basically cut back to one set of leaves:

1726151130218.png

If you are OK getting a little bit more aggressive, personally I'd cut it back to the red lines something like below:

1726151032946.png

As you can see with the mocked up canopy, it gives it a more realistic tree feel, something that looks like a big full grown tree with a nice canopy shrunken down. If you were to do that, you'd be left with at least 2 very good sized cuttings that you could propagate to make additional plants to mess around with.

As far as planting a forest with these, you can pretty much do whatever with them. I've taken multiple cuttings and just popped them in a little bonsai training pot to make a forest before they had any roots. You could let them grow for a few months then assemble your forest. Really, as long as you let the cuttings dry for a few days to callous over, then plant them in a well draining mix they will usually survive. I usually hold off watering for the first couple weeks after planting then as they start to root you can water them more regularly.

Here is a great video from Eric Schrader showing how he handles these plants. At about 4:30 in the video he works on one that is about the same size as yours and you can see how aggressively he trims it back:

Hey there, nice looking little P Afra starter. Most peoples mistake with these trees are not being aggressive enough when pruning. You can literally cut it down to tiny stubs leaving no leaves and if it has the right conditions it'll bounce back like nothing happened. The issue you have is the plant is too tall for the trunk width. You've got 2 relatively long trunks that are straight and about the same size as the trunk. At a minimum I'd cut at all of the red lines here, basically cut back to one set of leaves:

View attachment 566978

If you are OK getting a little bit more aggressive, personally I'd cut it back to the red lines something like below:

View attachment 566977

As you can see with the mocked up canopy, it gives it a more realistic tree feel, something that looks like a big full grown tree with a nice canopy shrunken down. If you were to do that, you'd be left with at least 2 very good sized cuttings that you could propagate to make additional plants to mess around with.

As far as planting a forest with these, you can pretty much do whatever with them. I've taken multiple cuttings and just popped them in a little bonsai training pot to make a forest before they had any roots. You could let them grow for a few months then assemble your forest. Really, as long as you let the cuttings dry for a few days to callous over, then plant them in a well draining mix they will usually survive. I usually hold off watering for the first couple weeks after planting then as they start to root you can water them more regularly.

Here is a great video from Eric Schrader showing how he handles these plants. At about 4:30 in the video he works on one that is about the same size as yours and you can see how aggressively he trims it back:

Are you saying to cut back to the two stumps?

I made some more cuts on it

Attachments

• IMG_2784.jpeg
    IMG_2784.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2783.jpeg
    IMG_2783.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 40
yep, you could certainly cut it back to 2 stumps and it should bounce back no problem. I'm not sure your exact weather there, but you may want to hold off until spring to do a major cut like that unless you're planning on bringing it inside with grow lights or putting it in a green house for the winter. Here's another vid of a really hard prune on these, you can hear his reasoning and by the end he's basically left with a pot full of sticks:

The problem with this tree is these 2 long straight sections in red:
1726164483166.png

They don't have any taper or movement on them and are too tall for the overall size/structure of the tree if you're following traditional bonsai design. But on the bright side those would both make good additions to your forest planting.

yep, you could certainly cut it back to 2 stumps and it should bounce back no problem. I'm not sure your exact weather there, but you may want to hold off until spring to do a major cut like that unless you're planning on bringing it inside with grow lights or putting it in a green house for the winter. Here's another vid of a really hard prune on these, you can hear his reasoning and by the end he's basically left with a pot full of sticks:

The problem with this tree is these 2 long straight sections in red:
View attachment 566985

They don't have any taper or movement on them and are too tall for the overall size/structure of the tree if you're following traditional bonsai design. But on the bright side those would both make good additions to your forest planting.
Boy that is aggressive. Could there not be taper due to my earlier pruning?

But as I read, if I’m afraid to cut back, I won’t get the aesthetics. I’m not sure of weather patterns. I was planning on bringing it inside with grow lights.

I do like the twin trunk and I think you’re markings might be a good indication.

Last edited:
You now have a ton of cuttings!
I do. Now I’m torn between forest and maybe shohin for one of the bigger cuttings. I made a bowl in a pottery class that I was hoping to use for something. Not traditional bonsai but do you think it could work? The instructor put a hole in the bottom🕹

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 20
I do. Now I’m torn between forest and maybe shohin for one of the bigger cuttings. I made a bowl in a pottery class that I was hoping to use for something. Not traditional bonsai but do you think it could work? The instructor put a hole in the bottom🕹
Sure, they don't need a deep pot.

and once these cuttings are rooted they need to go back into organic soil to help thicken the trunk and grow the tree before a forest? Thanks for helping
I use Miracle-Gro Cactus soil for mine but I don't think the soil matters as much as being careful not to overwater.

Back
Top Bottom