DWARF COLORADO BLUE SPRUCE FIND!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Another excellent, inspirational work.

30 cm high (1 foot) Picea pungens 'Waldbrunn' is available online here for 49,90 € ( $58.955)., but I'm sure one can find it cheaper if they go to a nursery, and anyway you're never sure of what you get when you order online, if the plant is "good" for bonsai.

But that's a very interesting suggestion, I had never heard of that cultivar before, and it seems so easy to make at least a decent bonsai when reading you...

"at least a decent bonsai ": for someone like me, of course.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The price I paid for the tree has NOTHING to do about the price! The beauty, rarity of cultivar, container, time (6 hours) and artist's name determine the price. This is living art, not something you buy in a department store, where items are price according to cost or some other profit markup.!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The price I paid for the tree has NOTHING to do about the price! The beauty, rarity of cultivar, container, time (6 hours) and artist's name determine the price. This is living art, not something you buy in a department store, where items are price according to cost or some other profit markup.!

Of course!

Perhaps you misunderstood me, probably because I'm not a native speaker of English:

1/ Excellent work
2/ I never heard of this cultivar before
3/ Thanks for making me discover a tree I hadn't heard before
4/ If ever I can find an interesting one, your example is an inspiration
5/ There are people who can provide this tree in France, but I'd rather see the real specimen before buying it
6/ For such an interesting tree, the price doesn't seem a rip-off, especially if you can find a tree nursery where people are ready to bargain (that includes buying trees that look "damaged" or "twisted" and are usually put in the dump
7/ "at least a decent bonsai" : I'll never pretend that even with excellent starter material I can reah the heel of "masters", but I can try.
8/ Price does matter to me, which is another reason why I appreciate your post: you're showing us that with some "good sight", "technique", and respect for the tree, one can achieve soemthing that tends to beauty without spending lots of money.

9/ I understand that as an "artist", you'll make a lot of money out of a small investment?

It's OK with me.

Everyone has to make a living, and good craftsmen should be rewarded for their skills and their teachings.

So thank you again, sincerely, but that money-talk sounds like a justification that I think is "indigne de vous".

Reaction score
@William N. Valavanis
One question about this species
Is this time of year ok to remove branches or if it wasnt for a demonstration you would have waited for the tree to go dormant?

I might take my spruce with me to @Tentakelaertje sunday in case we get bored but probably that wont happen

Strak plan! I don't think we get bored no lol. But do take it! Just in case.... ;)

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am amazed at what you have created! So beautiful! My question is why you chose to not include any jin? I could see a couple very short stubs to enhance the illusion of age, or was it more important, artistically, to have the smooth trunk lines?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
No Dead Wood?

This is a young tree, perhaps 10 years old. Therefore the wood is not long lasting, even though it would temporarily make the tree look aged. The annual rings are wide spaced, while old collected trees usually have very narrow annual rings which are more resistant to rot. It is common to take nursery grown junipers and create dead wood to enhance the illusion of age. It does temporarily, especially for a demo, but generally will not be a permanent addition to the design. I tend to look at the long range plan, even though I will probably not around.

Classical Bonsai Art is an idealization image, and in my interpretation of the art dead wood was not necessary for this bonsai. A naturalistic image would include dead wood into the design, but then it would not last long, perhaps 10 years, even with treatment. There is no problem with adding dead wood, its just not my thing and I did not think its necessary.

Don't forget I'm on the East Coast where ancient evergreens are not abundant with dead wood, while those on the West Coast tend to add dead wood because that's what they are familiar with.

There is a saying that "Californians are drunk with jin" because many of their trees include dead wood. I once saw a beautiful Ginkgo bonsai from California with a great smooth trunk which was hollowed out with a chain saw to make it look aged in the artist's eye. Many deciduous species, including Ginkgo have wood which rots quickly.

Bill

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The price I paid for the tree has NOTHING to do about the price!

If you are commenting about what I wrote, I was joking :) The cost of the material is irrelevant. A "free" tree, styled by a skilled artisan, is always going to be worth more than a costly tree, styled by an beginner. I actually find it inspirational to see when people find material at retail nurseries that they turn into something so awesome.

There is a saying that "Californians are drunk with jin" because many of their trees include dead wood. I once saw a beautiful Ginkgo bonsai from California with a great smooth trunk which was hollowed out with a chain saw to make it look aged in the artist's eye. Many deciduous species, including Ginkgo have wood which rots quickly.

Sadly I agree. I see many designs that I think are flawed because the artist can't see past the deadwood.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bill, it was nice meeting you today. As I mentioned the tree looks much better in person. I agree with your wife that the tree is too nice to sell, and you should spend a few more years developing it for a show. It was quite a find and your wife has a great eye in finding it.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We brought the bonsai to the Chicago show. DIANE just refused $500! She told the unhappy potential customer it's too excellent and rare of a find. She wants me to display it in a future, not next year's, US National Bonsai Exhibition....

Well, it is her tree, right? ;)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
At 6 AM today I was on the Kennedy Expressway heading to O'Hare. It broke my heart to be missing this show - by a single day!

I hope everyone has a great time!

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At 6 AM today I was on the Kennedy Expressway heading to O'Hare. It broke my heart to be missing this show - by a single day!

I hope everyone has a great time!

Sorry you had to miss it. Would have been great to meet you as well.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A Ma Zing tree. Well done for finding & styling.
To one day posess the skills to pul that off in only 5 hours. Sigh. still so much to learn.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I keep comming back to this thread because it keeps shouting at me.

Top Bottom