Driftwood!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello all,

Just curious on how to prepare driftwood as of cleaning without braking the wood. Are there bugs in the wood if it's dead already?

I found a couple of nice pieces but I don' wanna bring any unwanted fellas home into my grow room.

Thanks,
Tim

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have read and done on a few, is put them in a large bag, and powder or spray it good with any and all bug/insect/spider killer I have. Be sure to get into the pockets, crevices, shari, jin and everywhere. Ha. I then seal up the bag. this will suffocate the littles creepers and the bug killer will do the rest. I left it like that for a long time. I did "burp" the bag when I remembered and/or tripped over it. After a good soaking and sun bathing( the deadwood not me! hahaha) a few times, Have yet to see anything on it, near it , in it, or anything else again. I have yet to figure out what to create with it, but when I do look out! HAHA Oh and hope I don't need to say to protect it after all that. like leaving out in the yard, or back under a bench in a cool, wet space. Being sarcastic, but yeah put somewhere dry. If left in the sun for hours and hours, days and months , the natural bleaching will be of pimp status. Be well!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have read and done on a few, is put them in a large bag, and powder or spray it good with any and all bug/insect/spider killer I have. Be sure to get into the pockets, crevices, shari, jin and everywhere. Ha. I then seal up the bag. this will suffocate the littles creepers and the bug killer will do the rest. I left it like that for a long time. I did "burp" the bag when I remembered and/or tripped over it. After a good soaking and sun bathing( the deadwood not me! hahaha) a few times, Have yet to see anything on it, near it , in it, or anything else again. I have yet to figure out what to create with it, but when I do look out! HAHA Oh and hope I don't need to say to protect it after all that. like leaving out in the yard, or back under a bench in a cool, wet space. Being sarcastic, but yeah put somewhere dry. If left in the sun for hours and hours, days and months , the natural bleaching will be of pimp status. Be well!
Thank you

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would be inclined to seal in a bag and put it in the freezer for a couple of months. Not sure the chemicals would permeate the inner sanctums of borers. Longer periods of freezing are known to kill boring insects and there larvae. Ie: Pine beetle

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When you say freezer, do you mean outside when its 5 degrees? Cause if so, then yes...hahaha! also when I say powdered....think Scarface. I had a large trunk break of a tree at work(4 foots dia.) last year during the crap load of snow we got and the bottom portion broke off in a cool way that I saved it. wanted to do a chainsaw carving, a stand for a tree....as usual my mind runs crazy with ideas, on my second journal with them,ahaha...anywho...I dosed the thing, and made all sorts of cuts in it to get deep. every day I would knock it over and watch the buggers fly, that went on for like a month, before I stopped seeing them fall out. so time is your friend, cause insects are no joke. when dosing use the DE, got a big ole bag of it.

Top Bottom