Drainage mesh size

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I had some very bad experiences when ordering plastic mesh online.
They are sold in sizes "small/large" (the little holes or threads), but even the large is not as large as I think it should be. The small is ridiculous and will clog in no time.
I solved the issue by buying from Daiso Japan. They have plastic drainage pads for planters with good sized threads, and black. It's just a matter of cutting them to shape.
How I see it: if my mix is sifted to have the granules between 4mm and 6mm for instance, then a mesh sized 3mm will be the ideal for that pot.
Any thoughts?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I now use plaster (drywall) tape. Mesh is about the same size as flyscreen mesh (mosquito mesh?). Comes in convenient 50mm wide roll. Easy to cut to length fibreglass mesh. Very cheap and easily available at most hardware stores. Just use pruning scissors to snip off enough to cover the holes. I have not seen it clog.

Just don't make it too big of a patch, if you cover the entire bottom of your pot.. You're going to have to pull it out of the roots at some point. Which isn't ideal.
Why pull it out? You are going to cut roots anyway so why not just cut the roots that have grown round the mesh?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Things like this should never be purchased IMO.

I found 2 children's sand sifting seives in the garbage that could last quite a while for this purpose.

Go to the beach and steal children's toys!🤣

Why pull it out? You are going to cut roots anyway so why not just cut the roots that have grown round the mesh?

Especially since any root that grew down through the mesh is growing.....down!

I always throw big sheets down to cover 4 holes, and never copper-in mesh. Hell with all that Japanazz!

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I now use plaster (drywall) tape. Mesh is about the same size as flyscreen mesh (mosquito mesh?). Comes in convenient 50mm wide roll. Easy to cut to length fibreglass mesh. Very cheap and easily available at most hardware stores. Just use pruning scissors to snip off enough to cover the holes. I have not seen it clog.

I don't always want to cut off roots. On pines I just shake out the old soil and replace it with new soil. They bounce back way faster that way and some roots will die off naturally, but I prefer the tree to decide on what to keep. It's a whole other discussion that I'm fine diving in to, but I don't think this thread is the right place.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To keep the hobby afforable-

Do for yourself.

Even the concave pruners from China are 6 to 12 US on
Amazon.

Tables are scrap hardwood.
Anthony

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a

Aha! 3€ / m, not a bad deal at all!
And the mesh looks exactly like the pads from Daiso but cheaper.
Nice!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aha! 3€ / m, not a bad deal at all!
And the mesh looks exactly like the pads from Daiso but cheaper.
Nice!

And you can double or triple it to customize hole size.
I had some on the bottom of a concrete mixing tub, after a year, it wouldn't even come off. Very strong. Just not exactly reusable.

Sorce

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
And you can double or triple it to customize hole size.

That's what I love in this forum, you guys are soooo creative!
Simple and effective, double the mesh and twist it around!

Top Bottom