Doomsday Bonsai!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So it happened. No more lights, the electricity grid is fried by a solar flare.

You have a couple tanks of diesel to keep your water going for about two more weeks.

I'm not gonna let my trees die.

If I have rainy springs like this years, I could collect enough water for the year. But it would take a few barrels, and some pipe fittings.
If I didnt have enough water, I would make the river trip.
No heat. My ficus will likely all die by December, I'd ship em to Vin.

Of course, this would have to take place after gathering drinking water.

Carving? Humidifiers? T5s?

What would you do?

Sorce

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I'll match the can of beans and raise you 3 beers someone left in my fridge.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
How are you shipping Ficus to Vin in this scenario? Probably just want to compost those guys. I doubt FedEx is making stops to deliver your $15 package. Maybe you could pay MadMax to deliver it, but Vin is probably having problems of his own and doesn't need any more liabilities.

Now is when you hunker down with native species. No special lights, winter tolerant, etc. Probably need to revise your soil recipe due to less water, and start learning how to compost due to lack of Home Depot's bagged-chemical
ferts.

watchndsky

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
yes because thats how it all works - the millions of lawbiding gun owners who existed with nary an incident would suddenly unleash a fury of flying lead projectiles until the poor unarmed civilized folks surrender their property and enter a life of servitude.

damn - you found us out. ill have to let everyone know at the next militia meeting your on to us.....

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How are you shipping Ficus to Vin in this scenario?

Legitimate question! :)

I was precisely asking me how I'll ship my Serissa to Mellow Mullet ;)

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awful lot of garden/ground trees going on until water and other
more essential matters are "dealt with".
Hey a beautiful tree is a beautiful tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How are you shipping Ficus to Vin in this scenario?

Damn you're right.
I'll contact Ryan Neil, via pony express, I bet he'll still have the Bonsai Wagon going!

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jeez. Really? If the world ends, you've probably got other stuff to think about than bonsai.

FWIW--Just unpot the trees and put them in the ground, hope they live.

That's what the Japanese-Americans in California did when they were shipped off to internment camps at the outset of WWII.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jeez. Really? If the world ends, you've probably got other stuff to think about than bonsai.

FWIW--Just unpot the trees and put them in the ground, hope they live.

That's what the Japanese-Americans in California did when they were shipped off to internment camps at the outset of WWII.

Like Zombies.!

Now that's an interesting factoid!

at's what the Japanese-Americans in California did when they were shipped off to internment camps

Sorce

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Honestly, I'd abandon my trees, except for the pomegranates (or any fruit trees). Nice and portable on the war wagon until I found a safer place to settle and restart civilization. I'd try to get my hand s on some yews, so I could grow nice straight cuttings so the next generation could have longbows. And coffee bushes, so I could rule the wasteland! :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like Zombies.!

Now that's an interesting factoid!

at's what the Japanese-Americans in California did when they were shipped off to internment camps

Sorce
The history of U.S. bonsai winds through the camps... A trident maple, imported in 1915, was placed in the ground in the owner's backyard and his neighbors looked after it until he returned.
http://pacificbonsaimuseum.org/featured-tree/
Bonsai was also a pastime in the camps themselves.
http://www.heartmountain.org/lifeincamp.html
http://califolk.blogspot.com/2007/09/japanese-internment-camp-gardens.html
Listings of the numerous bonsaiists that were interned are in this history at the Phoenix Bonsai club site:
http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/BigPicture/Internment.html

Top Bottom