Dog Vomit Slime Mold

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Went out this morning to water and noticed what looked like vomit covering several feet of mulch. None of it was there late last night and it all grew while I was asleep (pretty cool). It appears to be Fuligo septica - dog vomit slime mold. Just wanted to confirm that is indeed what it is and further confirm this is no danger to my trees.

Attachments

• vomit.jpg
    vomit.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 55

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Kinda gross looking though. I suppose the name does match the visual….someone somewhere at sometime had a good chuckle naming this one…let’s call it dog vomit…and everyone laughed and had a great story to tell. I’d use a flat shovel and scoop it away for disposal. I remove anything that’s mold. It’s not good for breathing or handling and it does multiple quite well. It’s easy to track around on shoe outsoles. But….I’m just a don’t like mold person.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see this all the time on top of mulch in landscape plantings around here, especially when it gets hot and humid. I looked it up online a while ago because of that. Pretty harmless. It lives on the decaying wood in mulch.

Top Bottom