Digging urban needle juniper

Looks like enough root, it should do fine.
Another trick I use sometimes if I'm worried or want to do all I can is to wrap moss on the trunk and or live vein and keep it moist for a while. Keeps the live vein nice and moist and juicy.
Did that with this one.image.jpgSame tree later, this is the live vein that was protected with the moss. image.jpgI've seen others wrap with moist moss and then fully wrap with plastic like an airlayer to retain moisture, might work better than leaving it open like I've done.

Looks like enough root, it should do fine.
Another trick I use sometimes if I'm worried or want to do all I can is to wrap moss on the trunk and or live vein and keep it moist for a while. Keeps the live vein nice and moist and juicy.
Did that with this one.View attachment 134209Same tree later, this is the live vein that was protected with the moss. View attachment 134210I've seen others wrap with moist moss and then fully wrap with plastic like an airlayer to retain moisture, might work better than leaving it open like I've done.
Outstanding yamadori! Wish I could get something that nice and bring back to Michigan.
I have used this method with a few variations. Before attaching the moss, I lime sulphured the deadwood to preserve the details I prized ( on a previous attempt I didn't, and the deadwood was so rotten by the next season that it had to be removed ). On another, I actually finished the deadwood first and it still had a nice grey patina so I used a plastisizer on it to preserve it. By the time the moss came off the preservative had dulled over and looked much more natural. A little wire brush action and all traces were gone.
I have never seen this technique used without some type of side effect, I guess you always hope for the best and if you are lucky advance to the next step ( obviously ).
Regards,
Leonard

Outstanding yamadori! Wish I could get something that nice and bring back to Michigan.
I have used this method with a few variations. Before attaching the moss, I lime sulphured the deadwood to preserve the details I prized ( on a previous attempt I didn't, and the deadwood was so rotten by the next season that it had to be removed ). On another, I actually finished the deadwood first and it still had a nice grey patina so I used a plastisizer on it to preserve it. By the time the moss came off the preservative had dulled over and looked much more natural. A little wire brush action and all traces were gone.
I have never seen this technique used without some type of side effect, I guess you always hope for the best and if you are lucky advance to the next step ( obviously ).
Regards,
Leonard

Good point, something to think about.
I haven't seen any noticeable decay on deadwood from this myself. Maybe it's something to do with my short season, decay organisms not so active in cold temps. Even with low decay resistant hardwood types, moss covered or in ground contact it takes a few years for wood to get punky for me for some reason. Juniper deadwood is very highly decay resistant so it hasn't caused problems for me yet that I could tell. I've never left it on for a full season, removed when recovery became obvious.

It has been a little over a month since I dug this juniper and thought I would give an update. It seems to be responding to the transplant pretty well. It has done pretty much exactly what Brian said, it had a little bit of interior foliage turn yellow and drop and has lots of new growth on the tips. Keeping my fingers crossed it makes it.

. IMG_20170327_175955 (1).jpg IMG_20170327_180000.jpg IMG_20170327_180005.jpg

It has been a little over a month since I dug this juniper and thought I would give an update. It seems to be responding to the transplant pretty well. It has done pretty much exactly what Brian said, it had a little bit of interior foliage turn yellow and drop and has lots of new growth on the tips. Keeping my fingers crossed it makes it.

. View attachment 138619 View attachment 138620 View attachment 138621
You don't wanna keep that old thing, send it down here! as mentioned before, good score. Work slow and easy with that one

. View attachment 138619 View attachment 138620 View attachment 138621
Holy smoke that thing is alive. It looks ready to reach out and grab you. Outstanding material, lucky you.
Be sure to share updates on this interesting piece.
Regards,
Leonard

Back
Top Bottom