Did I Trim Too Much?

Don't panic... give it proper aftercare... and don't touch anymore... I've done similar things before on junipers and they made it through... fingers crossed...

my pictures... first as bought... second after my "initial pruning" that left as much as you did... third one is 18 moths later...

Attachments

• Juniper2_22'02_1F.jpg
    Juniper2_22'02_1F.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Juniper2_22'03_1F.jpg
    Juniper2_22'03_1F.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Juniper2_23'08_1F.jpg
    Juniper2_23'08_1F.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 23
Don't panic... give it proper aftercare... and don't touch anymore... I've done similar things before on junipers and they made it through... fingers crossed...

my pictures... first as bought... second after my "initial pruning" that left as much as you did... third one is 18 moths later...
Inspiring! Thank you!

I’m just gonna sit and wait it out and see if it survives the spring. If not, I’ll spend more money on another Shimpaku.

Agree with @Adamski77 This tree is far from doomed or spoiled. It will almost certainly grow back. Removing some of the upper foliage usually triggers back budding at branch forks in juniper. You may get a flush of juvenile shoots after this pruning. Don't panic, just let those shoots grow out if they are in desirable locations. They will gradually change back to scale foliage over a couple of years.
Next session with the tree you will have all this experience to guide you.

Awesome recovery. What did you do for aftercare? I cut some junipers back for the first time - I have been giving them ample water, filtered sunlight in the afternoon, and fertilizer after new growth appears. Anything I am missing?

Awesome recovery. What did you do for aftercare? I cut some junipers back for the first time - I have been giving them ample water, filtered sunlight in the afternoon, and fertilizer after new growth appears. Anything I am missing?
I think one component is larger pot… mine are planted in mixture that contains potting soil so more moisture… and room to spread. At the same time I repotted and initially styled within few weeks so against the rule of “one offense per season”… so without repotting might have been easier for tree to recover after styling.
My approach is to water my trees a lot… some people will be strongly against it but I agree with your “ample water”.
Regarding sun I didn't really change position… with lot of water they went back into full sun… and they loved it… admittedly I performed all this in spring and not summer… so this is different… and probably needs to be addressed… I think filtered partial sun probably will do the trick… but I would give them couple/few hours a day of full sun.
Than after 3-4 weeks started to fertilize normally.

But I really think the most important part is not to touch them… I know we are all tempted… this notion of passing by and “oh crap, this branch is not prefect… needs to be here” … so we bend it more… bend it to left/right… do not touch means do not touch ;)

Reactions: e~b
I think one component is larger pot… mine are planted in mixture that contains potting soil so more moisture… and room to spread. At the same time I repotted and initially styled within few weeks so against the rule of “one offense per season”… so without repotting might have been easier for tree to recover after styling.
My approach is to water my trees a lot… some people will be strongly against it but I agree with your “ample water”.
Regarding sun I didn't really change position… with lot of water they went back into full sun… and they loved it… admittedly I performed all this in spring and not summer… so this is different… and probably needs to be addressed… I think filtered partial sun probably will do the trick… but I would give them couple/few hours a day of full sun.
Than after 3-4 weeks started to fertilize normally.

But I really think the most important part is not to touch them… I know we are all tempted… this notion of passing by and “oh crap, this branch is not prefect… needs to be here” … so we bend it more… bend it to left/right… do not touch means do not touch ;)
How did you know I cant stop adjusting my wiring? 🤣 Great advice! Looks like it is working for you.

I'm very interested in your soil - Are you mixing with something inorganic as well? I have some slip-potted nursery stock that is mainly potting soil/other organic material right now... I wanted to repot (and maybe even pot down) ASAP but now you have me reconsidering!

How did you know I cant stop adjusting my wiring? 🤣 Great advice! Looks like it is working for you.

I'm very interested in your soil - Are you mixing with something inorganic as well? I have some slip-potted nursery stock that is mainly potting soil/other organic material right now... I wanted to repot (and maybe even pot down) ASAP but now you have me reconsidering!
For more advanced trees in bonsai pots I use 1/1/1 akadama/kiryu/lava rock (conifers)… but in this case I used potting soil with 5-8mm lava rock to provide better drainage and some air to root system. I wanted them to stay healthy as I did a lot to them… repotted and “styled” (bought 3 at that time). Next year spring they will go to bonsai pots with my regular bonsai mix.

Reactions: e~b
For more advanced trees in bonsai pots I use 1/1/1 akadama/kiryu/lava rock (conifers)… but in this case I used potting soil with 5-8mm lava rock to provide better drainage and some air to root system. I wanted them to stay healthy as I did a lot to them… repotted and “styled” (bought 3 at that time). Next year spring they will go to bonsai pots with my regular bonsai mix.
Thanks for the breakdown, I think I'll try something similar in the spring

Did you cut off too much? Absolutely.
Will it die? No, not from what you have done now. It WILL take 1-2 years to regain vigor.

Yes, I did watch this video! It was part of my reasoning to keep cutting because he pruned back so much on his original tree.
listen very carefully what he sais in the first 2-3 minutes because that is where the key is: Do not empty it out, remove enough to see the main branch structure.

The video is REALLY good (Yes, I am jealous). Key take-away is:
- You ensure you can see the branches so you think out, BUT you keep small branches all over
- Avoid using thick branches that are difficult to position, and favor small branches

This helps ease of styling, and creates a tree where branches are in scale.

And yes, see whether someone can help you do the first trees. It really gives you direct insights.

Back
Top Bottom