Desert rose bright flowers

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have no idea what helps flowering either, I suspect it may be partially down to high night temps. I do nothing abnormal with mine, they get a daily watering and a once a week fertilize and they seem to be OK. That said only 3 of mine are flowering and the other 4 are recovering from winter still.

IMG_7637d.JPG

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
At least you have 2....

Could be worse, Crystal gave up on this one after 18 years :p I took it out of the nice pot, up potted to a gallon Nursery container... It grew to over two feet over the Winter. As I mentioned I cut it back hard a few weeks ago. Just now it is showing signs of sprouting branch and leaf... doubt the season will be long enough to flower but "maybe" next year with an earlier chop :rolleyes:

With at least an eight inch base and in good health one would "think" it could bloom... grrrrrrrrrr...

IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_2050.JPG

Grimmy

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have no idea what helps flowering either, I suspect it may be partially down to high night temps. I do nothing abnormal with mine, they get a daily watering and a once a week fertilize and they seem to be OK. That said only 3 of mine are flowering and the other 4 are recovering from winter still.

View attachment 199475
This might be a clue, hardly any vegetative growth. Mine has a ton of leaves, no flowers. I hit it with some Bloom Booster today, just for kicks.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the 'soil' media is freely enough draining, and it's hot and sunny, you may water every day or at least every few days. The cooler the weather the less you want to water and when or if your temperatures start to get down into the high 50's, begin watering very sparingly only if the roots are very dry. If your plants are indoors it's less of a concern unless the potting medium does not dry out rapidly. Potting material is usually very gritty rather than 'soil' based but depends on where you are located.

As for helping your plant to flower ... feed it a lot and make sure it's getting at least 8 hours or more full sun daily. They can get by with less but a lot more is better. Usually lack of flowering is caused by too little sun or lack of maturity of the plant. Depending on which species is in the background breeding, some of them are very difficult to flower and you may just be out of luck. But if it's an obessum, it shouldn't be too difficult to get it to flower at least once a year in early summer/late spring once it is mature and growing vigorously.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
these trees are all looking awesome...
looking very much like baobabs :cool:

Nemoose

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I just picked this one up and repotte0718181032.jpgd it. How should I over winter in Central Florida zone 8b? Hoping to see it bloom

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alas, I lost my 'Scorpio' this past winter to root rot. But it was the ONLY one I've lost so far besides maybe a few seedlings I didn't really notice. I cut off the grafted branches for 'Scorpio' though and am trying to keep them hanging on or even root, domed on a heating pad. If I can keep the cutting alive until it warms up enough, I'll graft it onto a new root stocks. I like that cultivar too much to give up on it without a fight! Here's a shot of it in flower a couple of years ago. It's been one of my heaviest flowering adenium obessums. I imported it from Rinoa at Orient Adenium.

Scorpio-2.jpg

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If any of you are interested, here's my Pinterest Folder on the adeniums I have: https://www.pinterest.com/ornerypony/adenium-i-have/

And a Pinterest folder on my various progress with root training, growing from seed, imported grafted plants, etc. https://www.pinterest.com/ornerypony/adenium-progress/

When it's warmer I'll be selling off a lot of my seedlings. Others that get cut back I may have cuttings I can ship within the USA if anyone wants to trade cuttings for grafting.

Another favorite of mine I hope will bloom again this spring is Magic Elf. Smallish flowers but like Scorpio, a heavy bloomer for me.

Adenium 'Magic Elf'.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom