Desert rose bright flowers

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've posted a few pictures of the flowers from this desert rose and the pictures almost look photoshopped because they're so bright. Thought I would post a picture and from time to time will post more as I shape it up.
Crazy bright flowers. Only has a few open right now but plenty more on the way. It's been flowering for well over a month. Trimmed it recently so it needs to grow out again to get its shape back.
These would be something simple for someone new to work on. Not really a need to wire but great to teach how to water, fertilize and clip and grow for shape plus it rewards with bright flowers.
20170618_092302 (1).jpg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Lovely colours on these, I have been after one for a while but no luck locally, think I may order one from France.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Lovely colours on these, I have been after one for a while but no luck locally, think I may order one from France.
I ordered some from Thailand off eBay and those that I received were equally nice to what I've found in nurseries. The range of colors also far exceeds anything I would hope to find locally (So. Cal. desert cities)

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have had one for years, and although extremely healthy, it has NEVER bloomed. :(

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had one for years, and although extremely healthy, it has NEVER bloomed. :(
Well that sucks. If I knew a trick on how to make them bloom I would tell you. I water and fertilize and it sits in some sun but also a lot of shade. Trim as needed. I may give it some miracid now and then.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Well that sucks. If I knew a trick on how to make them bloom I would tell you. I water and fertilize and it sits in some sun but also a lot of shade. Trim as needed. I may give it some miracid now and then.
Yes, it does suck, since almost everything I have I bought specifically because it has flowers of some sort. The shade part is interesting, because thinking "desert rose" mine is in full sun almost all day. Maybe that's the problem?

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine gets about an hour in the morning of full sun then shade the rest of the day. Filtered light about 2 hours at the end of the day.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Crystal had one too, story follows...

Mine gets about an hour in the morning of full sun then shade the rest of the day. Filtered light about 2 hours at the end of the day.

When this one was taken care of it was always in filtered sun outdoors and under low intensity full spectrum T8's indoors.

Crystal took this one outside a few days ago. Neglected it all Winter so I just kept it alive as she said last year "take it, I give up". I thought after having it more then 15 years she just had a crappy day at the office...
She walked past me taking out and said "Do what you want, throw it away if you want, I was serious, just give me the Iker pot, the friggin thing will never bloom" I of course said nothing. Not certain when it is safe to chop them back hardcore but I am going to repot it and do just that -
For scale that is a 9 1/2 inch wide pot Chuck made to specification back when the base was half the size.

IMG_1173.JPG

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How do these things over winter? Are they like Boababs where once they drop leaves you give them zero water until spring?

I take this one indoors before the first frost. It stays in the plant room and gets a light watering a couple of times. It drops foliage and sprouts new near Spring and I water it more often until it goes outdoors.
I have read however that you can pull them out of the soil and store them in a cool dark place for winter. I might actually try that now that I am certain she does not care :oops:

Grimmy

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crystal had one too, story follows...

When this one was taken care of it was always in filtered sun outdoors and under low intensity full spectrum T8's indoors.

Crystal took this one outside a few days ago. Neglected it all Winter so I just kept it alive as she said last year "take it, I give up". I thought after having it more then 15 years she just had a crappy day at the office...
She walked past me taking out and said "Do what you want, throw it away if you want, I was serious, just give me the Iker pot, the friggin thing will never bloom" I of course said nothing. Not certain when it is safe to chop them back hardcore but I am going to repot it and do just that -
For scale that is a 9 1/2 inch wide pot Chuck made to specification back when the base was half the size.
View attachment 150108

Grimmy
That would look real nice after trimming it down and letting it ramify into a nice shape. Should end up with a nice crown of flowers on top.

20170621_104033 (Small).jpg

Attachments

• 20170621_104109 (Small).jpg
    20170621_104109 (Small).jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 7

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That would look real nice after trimming it down and letting it ramify into a nice shape.

We are now entering rapid growth on tropicals outdoors here when we normally prune, repot, etc...

I would like to chop all of the branches to about an inch or two from the trunk... Is it a safe time to do that?

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Now I don't feel so bad!;)

Funny how the situation and timing worked out. I actually think she is more pissed she went though the trouble of having the pot made to her specification and it not blooming. Charles Iker is a great guy for that so you know.
Also interesting I am now reaching out to others to learn another plant, always learning ;)
Might add, 11 trees/plants, small starters will arrive here today from Nevada that I have never grown before except one. The process is endless:eek:

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I suspect we may have the same "tree dealer" in Vegas, perhaps someone from here?;)

Yes, Clyde - Great guy to work with and talk to :) Could not ask for quicker and his expertise is great!

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That would look real nice after trimming it down and letting it ramify into a nice shape.

We are now entering rapid growth on tropicals outdoors here when we normally prune, repot, etc...

I would like to chop all of the branches to about an inch or two from the trunk... Is it a safe time to do that?

Grimmy

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Grimmy
Sorry I would just be guessing if this is a good time to do that. I've been just trimming when a branch is getting to long with the overall shape in mind. I've trimmed spring and summer. Not much in the winter. Basic clip and grow when I see it needed. Right or wrong thats how I do it.

If that was mine I would cut 2 or 3 down and watch them. Once they recover do some more. On mine I've seen some cuts not do anything for months then start to grow. Other cut sprout into 2 real fast and some cuts sprout into just 1 shoot.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorry I would just be guessing if this is a good time to do that. I've been just trimming when a branch is getting to long with the overall shape in mind. I've trimmed spring and summer. Not much in the winter. Basic clip and grow when I see it needed. Right or wrong thats how I do it.

If that was mine I would cut 2 or 3 down and watch them. Once they recover do some more. On mine I've seen some cuts not do anything for months then start to grow. Other cut sprout into 2 real fast and some cuts sprout into just 1 shoot.

Thank you - it gives me some direction on where to start and comparing climates I think it best I do a heavy chop on all earlier next year as our growing season is far shorter. Not a problem either as I know I can repot now and leave it be ;)

Grimmy

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Beautiful adeniums! Mine have bloomed quite a bit, I just have them as pots, not in bonsai pots. The flowers are absolutely beautiful on these.

Top Bottom