Dawn Redwood wilting out of the blue.

Oz_Fox

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very nice. Where are you located? And how wide is the trunk at the base, and how tall is it? I'm just trying to do some price comparisons. :)
Thank you! I’m in a Grand Rapids. Base is between 2-3 inches, height was between 4 and 5 feet, here’s another pic showing more of the trunk:
IMG_1838.jpeg
Here it is after I pruned and did initial style:
IMG_1849.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you! I’m in a Grand Rapids. Base is between 2-3 inches, height was between 4 and 5 feet, here’s another pic showing more of the trunk:
View attachment 501860
Here it is after I pruned and did initial style:
View attachment 501861
Very nice thanks for the info. My daughter lives in GR so I'm out that way a few times a year. Where did you buy it?

Oz_Fox

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very nice thanks for the info. My daughter lives in GR so I'm out that way a few times a year. Where did you buy it?
Thanks!!! No problem! Awesome, I got it at Knapp Valley Gardens, they don’t specialize in bonsai or pre-bonsai but definitely have the best selection I’ve found on the west side. If you visit check out their Japanese Maple barn, some real nice stuff if you’re into JM. Saturday I also bought a Boxwood there they had set aside that they were unsure what to do with, 6 ft tall, gnarly 5+ inch trunk for about $100

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice, did you get that one from a local nursery?
Yes. It's from Green Witch Gardens (formerly The Flower Market) They bill themselves as Michigan's largest Bonsai nursery, and it's 15 minutes from my house. :)

I'll just triple post the pictures to complete the thread.

PXL_20230812_175017014.jpg
PXL_20230812_175025833.jpg

Last edited:

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice indeed!

I managed to kill two beautiful J. maples that I bought from Kingsvillegrower about 5 years ago, by using a too high concentration of Miracle Grow last summer. As they were dying, they acted a lot like your first Dawn Redwood in this thread. Very sad, but a lesson well learned.

I have a young grove of 9DW that I keep in nearly full shade with lots of water. They are growing very well but do not like the sun here on the west side of Michigan.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice!
Thanks!

Very nice indeed!

I managed to kill two beautiful J. maples that I bought from Kingsvillegrower about 5 years ago, by using a too high concentration of Miracle Grow last summer. As they were dying, they acted a lot like your first Dawn Redwood in this thread. Very sad, but a lesson well learned.

I have a young grove of 9DW that I keep in nearly full shade with lots of water. They are growing very well but do not like the sun here on the west side of Michigan.
Thank you. I still try and remember how I screwed up mixing the Miracle Grow, but like most mistakes you don't realize it until it's done.

Funny bad memory story...Wife and I went out to lunch and I ordered a Rueben, waitress brings the food & I notice it's a pastrami sandwich. I say to my wife "look she brought me pastrami & I ordered corn beef". Wife looks at me and says "you ordered a pastrami sandwich." My mind was blown! I would've bet $100 I ordered corn beef, and if someone else other than my wife told me that I would have argued I didn't. So, yeah I'm losing my mind. 🤪

Think I'll stick to fish emulsion on DR in the future. I also think you could slowly introduce your DR to sun, but if it's doing fine why mess with it?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What do think caused the browning?
I’m not exactly sure. It could be the heat combined with lower humidity in the past few weeks paired with them having outgrown their nursery cans and need an up potting. I keep them sitting in shallow saucers with about an inch of water 75% of the time. FWIW I also had a nursery BC brown out also, it’s not in one of my cypress tubs, still in a nursery can. I find it interesting that those 3 browned out all at the same time.

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
D'OHHHHH Disaster looming?

My little grove of 9 young DW started to droop a little three days ago. I thought maybe I didn't water eonugh the day before, so let it soak in a shallow basin. Overnight (forgot about it). Next morning let it drain, still drooping but worse. It's been getting worse and worse -- now the tops are drying out. I've had this little grove for several years and have treated it the same way every year, and it usually grows exuberantly.

I hope I can keep it going.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

My little grove of 9 young DW started to droop a little three days ago. I thought maybe I didn't water eonugh the day before, so let it soak in a shallow basin. Overnight (forgot about it). Next morning let it drain, still drooping but worse. It's been getting worse and worse -- now the tops are drying out. I've had this little grove for several years and have treated it the same way every year, and it usually grows exuberantly.

Sorry to hear that. Not sure if you have already, but you may get better advice and help if you posted a new thread & include some pictures. I hope it survives. :)

MGTT

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know others will disagree, but I treat dawn the same as any other tree with respect to watering (I.e., when the top inch is dry, I water).
I place them in full sun from dawn until approximately 4pm.
My couple have been doing fine, knock on wood.😁

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

Best of luck with it. 🤞

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
It's a bonsai nursery not a HD or Lowes, it's billed as the largest bonsai nursery in MI. The expensive ones are huge old ones, forest plantings, big trunks, 10-12" diameter & up plus lots of work already done. The $100-$200 dollar are 3-4 feet tall with varying degrees of established branches with 2-4" trunks at the base, & of course supply and demand. Not many for sale locally. I did notice the price went up from last year & the nursery has gotten bigger and more popular.
Could you tell me the name of the nursery? i'm looking to pick up a big Dawn Redwood and wouldn't mind driving a way to get one as big as you mention.

Top Bottom