Crimson Queen

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one was in the background of another thread, a couple of guys asked about it, so here it is. This has been a lot of fun working on even though it's not really a prime specimen. In all honesty, none of my trees are, that's ok, I'm still having fun! After studying this pic, the graft doesn't look all that bad, the rootage still needs a little help. One of the things that I've learned about on this site is root grafting. So, I think that I will purchase some maple seedlings or cuttings and try to improve the surface roots. I think that the understock for most of these cultivars is the mountain maple so wouldn't it be best to find some of those for the grafts? Wouldn't that help with "color" matching? I'd like to hear your thoughts about it please. This thing measures 20 inches tall, 26 wide, with a 14 inch rootage. the trunk is 3 1/2 just above the graft. Please let me hear some feedback. Thanks!!DSCN2129.JPG DSCN2134.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh my....

This may turn into a rant.

I just spent some time looking at trees at THG.
I was looking for Nebari of course...
Because that's who I am.

Well....if I found something with a nice branch structure, it had a blah trunk, or a blah Nebari.

Nice trunk? Blah Nebari.

In short, I wasn't able to justify a purchase price for any work that needed to be done, and I personally, wouldn't have been happy with any of them as is.

Your tree....has beginnings which I could totally justify buying.

If just for the friggin volcano base!

But it also has a branch structure that I wouldn't feel I was wasting money on.

I just can't stand when the branching is all beautiful and you are paying out the Ass for it....just to have to remake a decent Nebari on it, which we know could mean death of the tree(layering), or many graft scars...Etc...

I don't want to spend $ on a great branch structure when, to have a really nice tree, you have to take a risk.

I think that risk should come right out of the price...

That's why I say buy Nebari.

Anyway....

As big as I am on Nebari....

I am ok with an imperfect one, as long as it makes sense....

To me, the left part, which I would assume wouldn't be ok for some folks...
Is good to me, it fits the lean, and the story....

Now....
The front right tube thing!
Only tells a story of someone cutting off an imperfect root to try to make a bonsai.
(history? Was that you?)

Anyway, that is the only thing I see that needs attention.

And I could completely justify that work in purchasing this tree.

What does this mean!?

Nice!

Lol!

Seriously...

Can I politely tell you I sometimes think you have some characteristics of "the dude doing bonsai In a bubble for 20 years"?

Truthfully, it's only sometimes because most of your stuff is so huge, I can easily see you having grown them out for 15-20 of those 20....and we know that's a feat! So I sure don't have you condemned to there.

So to answer my question....

I can...for what it's worth....

Because I see you growing with comments like....
One of the things that I've learned about on this site is root grafting.

Hell, a Bristlecone pine looks at Vance and says, "my you are old!"

And he recently grew in regards to wiring.

So, my good and kind friend the Original SK!

I think your time has come to take all your years efforts of keeping these monsters alive, and just start applying these little bits of New knowledge, after which, your whole collection, which is all greatly inspiring by the way....

Will blow people away like a maple helicopter in a wind gust....
Like a dandelion seed in a child's hand...

LikeTyphoon Winds Blows Car Away.gif

Your stuff is amazing!

Sorce

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one of these growing in my front yard in the landscape. I have thought about trying to airlayer a branch under the main canopy, but have read the disectums are difficult to root in any fashion.

I would like to see this in full leaf.

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Haha. When it is a cultivar that is common at box stores and uncommon in bonsai I usually expect a tiny caliper with little taper, not a monster like this! Seems appropriate for a Walter Pall / fairy tale style.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh my....

This may turn into a rant.

I just spent some time looking at trees at THG.
I was looking for Nebari of course...
Because that's who I am.

Well....if I found something with a nice branch structure, it had a blah trunk, or a blah Nebari.

Nice trunk? Blah Nebari.

In short, I wasn't able to justify a purchase price for any work that needed to be done, and I personally, wouldn't have been happy with any of them as is.

Your tree....has beginnings which I could totally justify buying.

If just for the friggin volcano base!

But it also has a branch structure that I wouldn't feel I was wasting money on.

I just can't stand when the branching is all beautiful and you are paying out the Ass for it....just to have to remake a decent Nebari on it, which we know could mean death of the tree(layering), or many graft scars...Etc...

I don't want to spend $ on a great branch structure when, to have a really nice tree, you have to take a risk.

I think that risk should come right out of the price...

That's why I say buy Nebari.

Anyway....

As big as I am on Nebari....

I am ok with an imperfect one, as long as it makes sense....

To me, the left part, which I would assume wouldn't be ok for some folks...
Is good to me, it fits the lean, and the story....

Now....
The front right tube thing!
Only tells a story of someone cutting off an imperfect root to try to make a bonsai.
(history? Was that you?)

Anyway, that is the only thing I see that needs attention.

And I could completely justify that work in purchasing this tree.

What does this mean!?

Nice!

Lol!

Seriously...

Can I politely tell you I sometimes think you have some characteristics of "the dude doing bonsai In a bubble for 20 years"?

Truthfully, it's only sometimes because most of your stuff is so huge, I can easily see you having grown them out for 15-20 of those 20....and we know that's a feat! So I sure don't have you condemned to there.

So to answer my question....

I can...for what it's worth....

Because I see you growing with comments like....

Hell, a Bristlecone pine looks at Vance and says, "my you are old!"

And he recently grew in regards to wiring.

So, my good and kind friend the Original SK!

I think your time has come to take all your years efforts of keeping these monsters alive, and just start applying these little bits of New knowledge, after which, your whole collection, which is all greatly inspiring by the way....

Will blow people away like a maple helicopter in a wind gust....
Like a dandelion seed in a child's hand...

LikeView attachment 135457

Your stuff is amazing!

Sorce
Thanks so much for commenting. I learned a long time ago that perfection in bonsai for most of us mere mortals is hard to come by. So, I just continued to pick the best stock I find whether from nursery or collected stock with the thoughts of growing it on, alot of it into larger trees. I haven't found anything perfect yet. For me, the perfectly radial root systems are great, extremely difficult to achieve. At the same time, I don't mind less than perfect rootage as long, as you said, part of the story. While some would indeed disagree, that left hand root has to stay. It does visually support this old "grandmother" tree, it just needs a little enhancement. Three or so grafts in just the right places should do the trick. The "tube" is a result of getting rid of bad roots. Thinking about several in and around that area. In a lot of ways, it has been bonsai in a bubble, very little outside contact with other bonsai folks for about 20 years. Have had two visits from bonsai people in recent years. Tons of fun by the way. Then came the internet, I found out that a lot had changed. Tons of new info. So, I just continue to glean what I can with the thoughts of taking a bunch of less than prime stock and making them the best that I can. Sir, thank you so very much for your kind words , it just blows me away!

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will someone please school me on getting paragraphs. I've tried every way I know of and it still comes out as a run on note.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one of these growing in my front yard in the landscape. I have thought about trying to airlayer a branch under the main canopy, but have read the disectums are difficult to root in any fashion.

I would like to see this in full leaf.
Thanks for commenting. There is a pic on another thread, it's in the background. From last year. If it does well leafing out, I'll post an update.

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I enjoy trees that aren't perfect -- they have their own unique character. That hollow gives this one a lot of interest.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for commenting. There is a pic on another thread, it's in the background. From last year. If it does well leafing out, I'll post an update.
casAH. Only a true nut would would refer another guy to a thread then not tell him what thread to look at...........it's in the other conifers section, a thread entitled....an old podocarpus....it's in the third pic in the background. Sorry man

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I enjoy trees that aren't perfect -- they have their own unique character. That hollow gives this one a lot of interest.
when most folks think of trees, they certainly aren't thinking of something like that one. they are thinking of trees in a park. The trees that have gotten to me the most are the old, ragged" Ghost" trees that have survived past their prime, struggling with the elements for survival. Kinda like us. thanks for commenting Sir!

Top Bottom