Crape Myrtle thread graft?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anybody successfully done a thread graft on crape myrtle?

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Lol, did you ask this question at the club meeting this weekend? I know someone did, and David said it would be difficult. I’d like to try it though.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol, did you ask this question at the club meeting this weekend? I know someone did, and David said it would be difficult. I’d like to try it though.

Yes. Just asking for any experience. I guess the positive thought is, if I drill a hole for a thread graft that doesn't take, it may be enough of a wound to stimulate a bud, as Brian Van Fleet suggests. At some point I'll report back. Right now the tree is just a trunk and I'm growing out something that might serve as a thread graft later.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yes. Just asking for any experience. I guess the positive thought is, if I drill a hole for a thread graft that doesn't take, it may be enough of a wound to stimulate a bud, as Brian Van Fleet suggests. At some point I'll report back. Right now the tree is just a trunk and I'm growing out something that might serve as a thread graft later.

Yeah, I’m interested to see how it works out. Keep us posted!

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Have you tried making a knob cut in the spot where you want the branch to emerge? Seems like they sprout at will from callus and you could almost direct growth from the spot you want it.
I have heard this quite a few times, this work on very vigorous ficus trees as well, they will sprout or send roots out of cuts on the cambium.

Also, crepe do fuse branches and trunks, so I don't see why a thread graft wouldn't take.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The thing I’ve found with Crapes is that they dont heal wounds well, if it all. So making a knob cut might direct new growth, but you could have a wound there for a really long time. I wonder how this characteristic would effect a thread graft. I dont have a Crape substantial enough to test it.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The thing I’ve found with Crapes is that they dont heal wounds well, if it all. So making a knob cut might direct new growth, but you could have a wound there for a really long time. I wonder how this characteristic would effect a thread graft. I dont have a Crape substantial enough to test it.
I agree! Since this was brought up, @BrianBay9 what is the status of the crepe we are talking about? If it is already potted up, I would suggest trying the thread graft first with a thin branch using the smallest drill bit to do the job. You could root some cuttings and use them for this purpose, as most crepes I have touched have brittle branches and bending them around to rout as a thread graft may not be as easy as on a JM.

If it is in the ground, they do heal, just not as fast as JMs or trees with heavy bark.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hmm, this has not been my experience, but this also could be entirely my inexperience at play here. I tend to make flat cuts on my crepes vs concave cuts.

Here’s a completely healed callus from a pretty decent size cut 2 years ago:
1CF7C5F7-CEB6-4ABC-AF7E-8EC18B660418.jpeg

Here’s cuts made last year on a different tree, the smaller cuts I made just a couple weeks ago.
0069828F-4350-4E3A-861D-846261F48899.jpeg
13A4A76E-750A-46B1-BB78-D811507E85A9.jpeg

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hmm, this has not been my experience, but this also could be entirely my inexperience at play here. I tend to make flat cuts on my crepes vs concave cuts.

Here’s a completely healed callus from a pretty decent size cut 2 years ago:
View attachment 536591

Here’s cuts made last year on a different tree, the smaller cuts I made just a couple weeks ago.
View attachment 536592
View attachment 536593

You’re right, that is good callousing. It appears to be a very young tree, older trees around here have huge ugly scars after pruning, that never go away.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You’re right, that is good callousing. It appears to be a very young tree, older trees around here have huge ugly scars after pruning, that never go away.
That makes more sense. I haven’t gotten to work with older crepes yet.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since this has moved from theoretical to specific I guess I should post some pics. Here's the CM in question.

cm 27Mar24 4.jpg

The decision is, one trunk or two? One trunk has nice taper and movement. As you can see from this angle, below, the second trunk is a straight cylinder.

cm 27Mar24 3.jpg

cm 27Mar24 5.jpg

I could break up the trunk with a thread graft. I could significantly shorten the boring trunk. I could remove it altogether.

As mentioned above, large wounds form natural uro that don't really heal well, but can be a feature. That would be my intent if I removed that trunk.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That tree is much more impressive in person. I still say single trunk. Try the thread grafts, keep us posted.

Top Bottom