Cottoneaster yamadori I

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

Quick presentation of one of my project.
A yamadori Cottoneaster taken from my parents place in Spring 21'

The tree was potted in a growing case.
Since then the tree has been left alone so it can start rebuilding its root system.

I just started to manage the foliage grow, using Fall period to put the tree "back" in shape, and I should start structural wiring before the end of leafs fall.

I also did a drawing of what's for now the future design.

After collection in late Spring 21'
20220622_150543.jpg
20220622_150559.jpg

Autum 23' before prunning
20231006_105606.jpg

Autum 23' after prunning
20231006_121220.jpg

Desing sketch
20231009_171506.jpg

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have a plan for how you want to grow the branching? Right now it seems to be all young sprouts as branches. Also curious if your sketch is showing the whole trunk on the right will become deadwood?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
if it comes from a garden, it is not a yamadori. A yamadori is a wild tree, not a cultivated one

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Do you have a plan for how you want to grow the branching? Right now it seems to be all young sprouts as branches. Also curious if your sketch is showing the whole trunk on the right will become deadwood?

Sure, that why I made a drawing.
I prefer choosing a design first and start training the tree toward that design then building a whole canopy choose a design and start over.
Once a face is selected you should be able to do a proper design including the other elements on the tree you want to put emphasis on deadwood, shari ect
And yes the whole trunk on the right will be hollowed that part was already dead.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
if it comes from a garden, it is not a yamadori. A yamadori is a wild tree, not a cultivated one
Oh I said at my parents place not in their garden.
This tree is huge and has been growing "freely" in the field that one of the reason most branches were useless.

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
What type of cotoneaster is that? I have never seen one with leaves shaped like that before.
Thanks

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure, that why I made a drawing.
I prefer choosing a design first and start training the tree toward that design then building a whole canopy choose a design and start over.
Once a face is selected you should be able to do a proper design including the other elements on the tree you want to put emphasis on deadwood, shari ect
And yes the whole trunk on the right will be hollowed that part was already dead.
I understand the whole Andolfo drawing your tree approach, I was more meaning specifically how you plan to grow the branches. The drawing only shows pads, no branching. Since this is a deciduous getting a nice leafless look takes a different approach than just setting pads. It will be a fun one to develop, and I will be curious to see how it ramifies.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I understand the whole Andolfo drawing your tree approach, I was more meaning specifically how you plan to grow the branches. The drawing only shows pads, no branching. Since this is a deciduous getting a nice leafless look takes a different approach than just setting pads. It will be a fun one to develop, and I will be curious to see how it ramifies.

Yes, we dont see much branching because the tree is more masculine. Branching wont be visible when the tree will be showed.
I want to show it in flowers and with fruits.
Cottoneaster have a dense foliage and this will be used to represent a more masculine canopy.
If I was going toward a great winter silouette I would not go with this design and tree.
From my experience they dont react well to major cuts as they will simply send new shoots (typical bush reaction) and not activate dormant buds along the branche. If you let these new shoots grow without pruning the tree will only have straight and long branches that are not ramified. But In general they react well to pruning, leaving a lenght of 6-8 leaves per branches will encourage a cottoneaster to set a secondary structure right away that you can control via pruning and use to grow thicker branches that are coherent in size all along the structural branches.
Cottoneaster are easy to ramifies, it take time for the tertiary branching to becomes/look aged but can be developped after a few years of pruning.

First step was to reduce all the branches to 6-8 leave prior to first placement while leaving some shoots in the back for a bit more root grow and major cut healing.
Next spring the tree will send a ton of secondary branches along the structural branches and after the real selective growing will begin.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How much work would you do on a cotoneaster in the fall, curious as I've got one from a garden center I've been wanting to trim up a bit... Would you repot this late? Sounds like yes to both, curious if you do this a lot.
Thanks!
B

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How much work would you do on a cotoneaster in the fall, curious as I've got one from a garden center I've been wanting to trim up a bit... Would you repot this late? Sounds like yes to both, curious if you do this a lot.
Thanks!
B
i got one from a nursery in late spring. The tree grew well, put out flowers and now I am enjoying the nicr, small red berries all over it. I will do nothint to it now. I will wait until late winter to drastically prune it and early spring to repot it. I dont see the need to do any of those things now.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i got one from a nursery in late spring. The tree grew well, put out flowers and now I am enjoying the nicr, small red berries all over it. I will do nothint to it now. I will wait until late winter to drastically prune it and early spring to repot it. I dont see the need to do any of those things now.
Ok, that's good to know - I'm trying to be patient with it, wait till early spring - I think I read things into your listing that weren't there, activated my work on it now response...

Thanks!
B

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
What type of cotoneaster is that? I have never seen one with leaves shaped like that before.
Thanks
I have the same question... Never seen one like this before. It sure looks like it was really large!

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks!
B
I trim long runners all year until October, then re pot in the spring.
Hope this helps

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I trim long runners all year until October, then re pot in the spring.
Hope this helps
Somewhere in here Is a nice, fat trunk - antsy to get it into good soil, expose the tree hiding in this jungle... Spring, I can wait till spring...
B

Attachments

• IMG_3569.jpeg
    IMG_3569.jpeg
    393.5 KB · Views: 31

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Yes! Waiting is always an option in case of a doubt.
But There's always a nice window in Autum to work on trees but the type of work you can do always depend on the condition of the tree and the Winter protection you can provide.
My tree mostly never see temp. Under 40F during winter so Autum for me is a great season to do structural work, heavy pruning and so on.
Trees are also ready when it comes repoting time in early Spring.
I would only repot in Spring just beacause it work for me and never tried anything else for decidious trees!

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Doesn't sound like you need to! We have 20* nights coming next week...

Top Bottom