Colorado Blue Spruce Styling Suggestions?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
50% discount on three of the remaining CBS at local hardware store.

The larger one is burlapped, and it looks like there might be more to the trunk underneath.

I want to keep one of the smaller spruces for planting in the front lawn next spring, though may plant both if they lack bonsai potential (photos or the smaller two attached at the end).

I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to go about the initial styling of this CBS. How much should I cut back and specifically when. I know some do summer pruning, others in the fall.

I planned on doing the initial hard pruning first and waiting a year after to put it in a proper bonsai pot.

Photos were hard to take and don't do it justice, but I think some that I captured should serve enough for you to get an idea of what it's looking like.

Summer here had been hitting consistently in mid 90°F (~33°C), and I'm hesitant to work on something this hot out. But I'm not familiar with the species. They do have a nice tone blue on new growth and appear healthy.
IMG_5607.jpgIMG_5600.jpgIMG_5601.jpgIMG_5602.jpgIMG_5604.jpgIMG_5605.jpg

I just had time to get to it before it’s got too dark to discover some of its nebari. I wasn’t able to get too deep, but I think deep enough to see the base of trunk and some movement from the left to the right, to top slightly coming forward might be an option.

I’ll keep this one on the back burner for a fall hard prune, unless otherwise suggested.

Potential front?

Attachments

• IMG_5608.jpeg
    IMG_5608.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5609.jpeg
    IMG_5609.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5610.jpeg
    IMG_5610.jpeg
    402.1 KB · Views: 20
I suggest getting these settled into your preferred soil mix before cutting anything off. Maybe into a growing box next spring. When they are healthy you can start reducing to your vision. Spruce will recover more quickly with all their foliage intact.
All of these will have a graft. The graft is visible as a line across the trunk right above the nebari on your first picture. This one does not look too bad but be aware that it will never improve and you will have to deal with it. If it doesn't bother you then ignore it. Some people choose to bury it.
Good find. Clearance prices are always easier to justify.

I suggest getting these settled into your preferred soil mix before cutting anything off. Maybe into a growing box next spring. When they are healthy you can start reducing to your vision. Spruce will recover more quickly with all their foliage intact.
All of these will have a graft. The graft is visible as a line across the trunk right above the nebari on your first picture. This one does not look too bad but be aware that it will never improve and you will have to deal with it. If it doesn't bother you then ignore it. Some people choose to bury it.
Good find. Clearance prices are always easier to justify.
That's very insightful. I've been trying to find some information. Grafting doesn't bother me too much, but I can see it becoming an eyesore, as some of my JM draw a lot of attention to the grafting location. Thanks for pointing that out.

And repotting or styling first is something I should have put more thought into.

Yes, it certainly is nice to find those clearance prices for material! It will be interesting seeing one grow to its full height in the front yard while keeping the other two for bonsai.

Back
Top Bottom