Colorado’s Slant-Style Ponderosa Pine

i didn't see this tree before, what an amazing tree 👍

if it was mine, i would choose the front in order to have a maximum "zig zag" (movement) of the trunk so i would (probably) choose that exact trunk line ->
View attachment 545755
and i like the discreet flat round pots like those ->
View attachment 545756

so i'd prefer to have this association tree-pot (because i like thos type of discreet pot for literati pine)->
View attachment 545757

it's just my opinion on your very nice tree and i understand that it may be impossible to cultivate this tree in such a flat pot.. it is just a virtual ^^

Thanks, Clem! Maybe some day I will be able to get it in a really shallow pot like that :)

Yea that looks better, more stable than before

Thanks Paradox! It’s MUCH more stable physically, as well. This winter was a struggle, because every time it snowed the tree would tip over! (Despite my best attempts to prop it up with wooden stakes…🤣)

Thanks Paradox! It’s MUCH more stable physically, as well. This winter was a struggle, because every time it snowed the tree would tip over! (Despite my best attempts to prop it up with wooden stakes…🤣)
Ugh thats annoying

Well, turns out that pot wasn’t big enough either 😂. But I learned my lesson from last time, and I had a bigger pot on hand just in case! It’s the biggest pot I’ve made yet. Repotted a few weeks ago.

View attachment 545723View attachment 545722

This pot is a little oversized, but I think it will be perfect to get the tree stabilized and healthy. The tree is very weak from the mishandling last year. I also changed the planting angle to be a bit more upright. I don’t think it will need to be repotted again for a very long time.

I’m going to fertilize it fairly heavily this year and just focus and getting it healthy again 😎
This looks great. I’m of a mind of slightly overpotting, in areas like ours that are hot and dry. I’d rather the tree be healthy…and not have to water 3x a day, which l can’t.

This looks great. I’m of a mind of slightly overpotting, in areas like ours that are hot and dry. I’d rather the tree be healthy…and not have to water 3x a day, which l can’t.

My thoughts exactly!

I have also noticed that many of the Japanese professionals use very big and deep containers for big conifers. Kimura included. Small pots have a certain aesthetic but I do think that slightly larger pots are better for the health of the tree, generally speaking.

My thoughts exactly!

I have also noticed that many of the Japanese professionals use very big and deep containers for big conifers. Kimura included. Small pots have a certain aesthetic but I do think that slightly larger pots are better for the health of the tree, generally speaking.
+1 , i've had problems with flat pots (yellow needles, spring growth stopped) on pines, probably i dunno how to cultivate correctly pines in flat pots, but with deep pots (good draining) luckily it's ok 😅

Back
Top Bottom