Collecting with a plan

Do you collect trees with a plan or do you collect trees with potential and figure it out later

• Collect with a plan

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Figure it out later

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Just adding to the hoard

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When out in the woods looking for material, do you see the final tree in the raw material before you collect it or do you just collect raw material with desirable qualities and figure it out later?

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would pick D, all of the above if I could. Some have nice movement, but need a lot of development so I figure it will be ever changing and will figure it out as it goes. Others I collect are a lot further along and are collected because of the fact they will cut out years of work, be it because of the already nice taper, movement, or both, or just because I like it. All trees I pick up go into the hoard, many of which fall into the because I can category. The barber in me envisions a final destination I guess though...hard to reach a goal if you don't set one.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I try to collect with a plan as much as possible. I have recently started making sketches after collection so I have a rough blueprint of what I originally saw in the tree. BUT… Every now and then there’s that one that you just have to take home, plan or no plan.
IMG_0512.jpegIMG_0511.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I once read a very well written article by, I believe, Randy Knight (it may have been in a thread on BN at some point) detailing his process of scouting and collecting, but also discussing his general philosophy for collecting. I will try to find the article and link it later, but I am at work.

Regardless, the author essentially argued that a tree should never be discovered and dug/removed on the same occasion. This argument changed my entire approach to yamadori collecting. I almost want to give the tree the respect of making me come to it several times throughout several seasons or even years, and monitoring, observing, and sometimes even slowly working on the tree in its natural location. Sometimes I could see a tree needing to be saved or rescued from a force of nature, and it just so happening to be a great bonsai candidate as well, but in general I try to make multiple visits to potential collection trees to make sure they can or should be collected, so I think the general style is normally already worked out in my head.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
First up I rarely collect from 'the woods'. Most of my collections come from private gardens before renovations/makeovers. Some from privately owned farmland and occasionally exotic weed species from roadsides.

The trouble with a plan is that the trees don't know. If some existing branches die off the plan changes. If new shoots emerge from the trunk the plan may change. If new shoots grow stronger than existing branches the plan changes.
I guess I look for a lower trunk that might make a good basis for bonsai and work from there.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I once read a very well written article by, I believe, Randy Knight (it may have been in a thread on BN at some point) detailing his process of scouting and collecting, but also discussing his general philosophy for collecting. I will try to find the article and link it later, but I am at work.

Regardless, the author essentially argued that a tree should never be discovered and dug/removed on the same occasion. This argument changed my entire approach to yamadori collecting. I almost want to give the tree the respect of making me come to it several times throughout several seasons or even years, and monitoring, observing, and sometimes even slowly working on the tree in its natural location. Sometimes I could see a tree needing to be saved or rescued from a force of nature, and it just so happening to be a great bonsai candidate as well, but in general I try to make multiple visits to potential collection trees to make sure they can or should be collected, so I think the general style is normally already worked out in my head.
That's interesting, do you have the link?

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Only plan is to collect trees that have strong roots, strong foliage, and collectible.

Then I focus on character, trunk movement and the branches. I rarely ever see the bonsai in the bush.

My planning involves permits, mapping areas of interest, access roads, safety, camp grounds, time of year. Safety, safety, safety

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
That's interesting, do you have the link?

CORRECTION... I was remembering Walter's 3 part series from Bonsai Today, but the link is below. I think I drew a lot of personal lines from where it seemed Walter was coming from in the article, but that's how it made me think and feel. If I'm going to take a tree from the wild or even a landscape or garden, I must do my research and work to ensure the tree has the best chances it can. He definitely argues for the fact that a tree should not be considered for yamadori unless the artist has a vision already and a clear direction for making it a bonsai.

To me, if I take a tree I must be able to convince myself that I'm putting it in a better situation than it is in and I must be sure that it is a tree that I will still be able to show to others at a high level.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
With the BCs and Mayhaws I have collected, I simply collect them to save them from being culled. I guess my choice then is to figure out later.
Thankfully BCs grow fast and can be developed to decent bonsai from practically any shape they are in. Better materials just shorten development time. Of course there are those exceptional kick-butt materials with buttresses that will be difficult to develop.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm with @Shibui I might have some thoughts on design, but until the tree is thriving again after collection you just don't know what you're going to have to work with.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Collection for me involves a lot of planning for the actual activity, the decision to collect is based on the characteristics and condition of the tree.This can often lead to returning home without a tree. I have got to the stage where the tree must be one I am truly excited about before I collect. The better collection sites are further afar, more difficult to access and the window of opportunity is not extensive. Rarely, do I see the finished tree in the beginning. However, there is usually an intended direction before committing to collection. The list of required characteristics lengthens as I age and my collection grows. The decision to spend a decade or more on a particular tree is not taken lightly.
Assuming it is a species that interests me for Bonsai.
1.Does it have unique characteristics that display age and struggle.
2.Is it collectable? healthy enough condition, size, site, apparent root structure for survival. Many are sited that cannot be safely removed or grow in conditions that sufficient roots cannot be retained. Some root structures are near impossible to correct or modify for bonsai.
3. Does it have foliage/branching in desirable locations.
4. Is it clear of disease or pests. This is not always easy to determine but one wants to avoid the obvious when possible. Older trees that have survived and struggled are rarely in full healthy condition.

I tend to start at first light or as early as possible. I have found that the actual collection can take considerable time after one selects a suitable tree. And for some reason the time it takes to transport the tree back to the vehicle seems to increase with age.
If one can camp out, or return to the area for several days that is beneficial. The " rare ones" are just that.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Perhaps a bit off topic, but may benefit some readers.
If there are a few readers new to collecting or considering collecting from the wild. Walter Pall wrote a three part article for Bonsai Today. It is printed in Issues #74,#75 and #76 which were published in 2001. Very well written, an excellent resource for those interested in collecting Yamadori. Keep in mind that techniques vary with location, species and climate. The very best tips will come from experienced collectors familiar with the local conditions and species.

Top Bottom