Collected Ponderosa Growth

paths00

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all!

I have this ponderosa pine which was collected around April-May 2023. In comparison to some of my other ponderosas this one has pushed some really weak/inconsistent growth, and some buds never opened. Any pointers? Should I be fertilizing more aggressively? Cut back on water? Wait until next year, get out of grow box, and see how it responds? Any feedback is appreciated. Haven’t ran into this before.

Only scope of work has been wiring. No foliage was taken off, no heavy bends.

5b52d5d2f705104c838c76b95ec578814d0b66a2.jpeg40322bb3a28e1c5596932bb1aea265e9b6f88726.jpeg8cde2b179d1e137d4e9f673181166340d3f4d777.jpeg6dd74fcf6ff5631fb8f5d116547bf85c606f7b26.jpeg
Photo of tree in February
7ba6a0ee019b624b7814bf59a22d709e0426635f.jpeg

You're one year in to recovery from collecting. Let the tree tell you when it's ready to work. I've had some ready in a year, and some take three years before they really take off. Patience.

Most excellent tree. A rare and exceedingly lovely prize. Fertilize like crazy. At least 2 times a week😆. Wiring may have caused setback. Most unwise on new collected tree.😲

Let it alone for a couple of years. One year out of the ground and transported to an alien environment takes a lot of strength out of a tree. It's weak and not ready for much of anything. Don't wire, repot or otherwise mess with it. Just meet its basic needs. Learn how to water it. Learn how it responds. Benign neglect can go a long way in tree development.

Wow, what a find! Must have been a great expedition. I'm brand new, so I have zero advice. Keep us updated, though. I would love to follow its progress.

Awesome tree!

I agree with others that it needs time to recover. I definitely would not have wired it yet. And DEFENITELY would NOT repot it next spring. If the buds didn’t open up then it’s extremely weak.

If it were mine (and I wish it were with that awesome trunk 😁) I would fertilize it with Biogold and liquid fish every 4 weeks for the remainder of this year until about October. Next spring, leave it in the box and do not touch the foliage. Fertilize with liquid fish when it starts to get warm and hopefully the buds will move next spring. Fertilize with Biogold and fish heavily again next summer. If it’s still super weak then I would leave it in the box again the next year too and repeat the same. Of course, it goes without saying that you should not remove any foliage at all until you’ve seen vigorous growth and some back budding.

Hard to say about the water. Really you are the only one who can determine if it’s getting the right amount, too much, or too little. I let my ponderosas dry out a little more than all my other trees, but not much. I would never let the pot completely dry out.

Good luck!

Awesome tree!

I agree with others that it needs time to recover. I definitely would not have wired it yet. And DEFENITELY would NOT repot it next spring. If the buds didn’t open up then it’s extremely weak.

If it were mine (and I wish it were with that awesome trunk 😁) I would fertilize it with Biogold and liquid fish every 4 weeks for the remainder of this year until about October. Next spring, leave it in the box and do not touch the foliage. Fertilize with liquid fish when it starts to get warm and hopefully the buds will move next spring. Fertilize with Biogold and fish heavily again next summer. If it’s still super weak then I would leave it in the box again the next year too and repeat the same. Of course, it goes without saying that you should not remove any foliage at all until you’ve seen vigorous growth and some back budding.

Hard to say about the water. Really you are the only one who can determine if it’s getting the right amount, too much, or too little. I let my ponderosas dry out a little more than all my other trees, but not much. I would never let the pot completely dry out.

Good luck!

This - I would have waited two or three years before I did anything - hopefully the wiring didn't hurt it too much

I hate to say it, but my experience with pines is that if the buds don't elongate its toast.. however I've seen pines with all the needles off bud from the trunk too. Like other have said, I’d be hands off and water little as there is not much activity in the tree to move water

Back
Top Bottom