Cleaning bark caused deeper cuts

Reaction score
Hi ,

Asking on behalf of a friend . He was cleaning his juniper bark and in many places while peeling off the bark , it went deeper . Pics attached .

Am not a juniper guy at all and hence asking you guys here - is this a big problem ? I think not as the bark tissue will regenerate and cover all surfaces again in 2 years or so . But will appreciate you guys thoughts .

34761E70-B250-4CA9-B6CF-080F996E6251.jpeg

Attachments

• 89FB93CA-5D10-425B-B94A-5F729014B69E.jpeg
    89FB93CA-5D10-425B-B94A-5F729014B69E.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 11

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hard to tell but it looks like he took all the bark off in areas. This will not cover over. But.. I cannot see whether those parts were even alive beforehand. Did you check to see where the living parts are?

Reaction score
hard to tell but it looks like he took all the bark off in areas. This will not cover over. But.. I cannot see whether those parts were even alive beforehand. Did you check to see where the living parts are?
Yes these were all living parts as far as he said . He was trying to take the bark off and in some areas it went deep to expose the white tissue .

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes these were all living parts as far as he said . He was trying to take the bark off and in some areas it went deep to expose the white tissue .
Whats was he using to take the bark off?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
in some areas
I might be looking atr the wrong thing but.. this does not look like accidentally hitting the white. This is just cutting large strips off.

The aim of removing bark is to get the flaky loose stuff off. What has been done here is way more.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Juniper bark is quite thick with many layers. The white I can see in these pics is still bark. The white under bark will soon change to brown outer bark so no problem to the tree. If you do go right through the bark the wood underneath is hard and shiny unlike in these pics. Even if you do cut right through the bark junipers heal quite rapidly. I have to regularly open up intentional shari on shimpaku junipers to stop them closing over.

Reaction score
Juniper bark is quite thick with many layers. The white I can see in these pics is still bark. The white under bark will soon change to brown outer bark so no problem to the tree. If you do go right through the bark the wood underneath is hard and shiny unlike in these pics. Even if you do cut right through the bark junipers heal quite rapidly. I have to regularly open up intentional shari on shimpaku junipers to stop them closing over.
He went too far, but it will be fine. Next time, maybe a softer touch.
Thanks ! Is there anything that is needed to be done to heal them better ?

It’s well protected from frost since we are in zone 4 and is in a green house .

The tree does need a repot badly as the soil has lost percolation and roots pushing the tree up in the pot . But our repotting starts at end of April . So can it still be repotted at that time ?

Reaction score
Nothing necessary. It will darken up by summer and look normal. It can still be repotted as planned.
It does feel better to know this . Sadly I think a sandpaper was rubbed against the bark too hard which stripped the outermost layer exposing the white bark all over the trunk . I was gonna suggest a liquid cut paste- like top Jin or kiyonil that I apply over deciduous materials but wasn’t sure if it’s needed for a juniper .

Reaction score
The way I understand it is the white part is the exterior phloem and if we go deeper it becomes greenish which is the cambium layer and then even deeper is the xylem. If we reach xylem, it becomes a deadwood . In the above pics, I think only the phloem has been reached - so it went a little deeper . Nothing that should be of any bother I think but am just a newbie

Top Bottom