Cjr BC the Cloak of Levitation

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Waking up in the spring. Not much chage on the top but the roots are doing well.
IMG_1450.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Leafing out and growing. The chop scar is rolling. I am planning to chop again mid summer.
To stay in touch with the name, I think a drum style pot is in order.
IMG_1821.jpeg

Last edited:

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The fluting on this one is incredible

rusticana

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a similar project going. Albeit on a smaller scale. Mine it turns out is the pond cypress one, variety "nutans" grafted onto the distichum one. The lower part (root stock) I have left represented. I trunk chopped it last year. It had the perfect leader. But I removed the wire on it too early and it straightened itself back out. Its almost as big already and looks about to go on a terror this year. I keep it dunked most of the summer.My question for you is should I attempt and air layer on the two top leaders? And then where to re-chop it mid season?image5[4449].jpg
IMG_5940 (1).JPG
IMG_3619.JPG

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have a similar project going. Albeit on a smaller scale. Mine it turns out is the pond cypress one, variety "nutans" grafted onto the distichum one. The lower part (root stock) I have left represented. I trunk chopped it last year. It had the perfect leader. But I removed the wire on it too early and it straightened itself back out. Its almost as big already and looks about to go on a terror this year. I keep it dunked most of the summer.My question for you is should I attempt and air layer on the two top leaders? And then where to re-chop it mid season?
View attachment 543553
You have reverse taper going at the old chop site. If I were you I would cut off the leader and the 3 new side branch. Then I will wire up the old branch and make the first branch off of the old branch the new leader.
IMG_2060.jpeg

rusticana

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your reply.
I'm stating to regret the whole thing.
Perhaps I should have kept it as a specimen tree?
Though my drastic experiment made almost no differnce within a year.
Not much if any reverse taper going on at the chop site. I believe if I chop it again there It'll become a total nuckle?
I Think I will chop it again above that and train a new leader?
I'll need to do some branch shortening at some point.
This tree is like the weeping willow of bald cypresses.
And the lower portion the regular one (root stock) the lowest branch does not seem to be taking over.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks for your reply.
I'm stating to regret the whole thing.
Perhaps I should have kept it as a specimen tree?
Though my drastic experiment made almost no differnce within a year.
Not much if any reverse taper going on at the chop site. I believe if I chop it again there It'll become a total nuckle?
I Think I will chop it again above that and train a new leader?
I'll need to do some branch shortening at some point.
This tree is like the weeping willow of bald cypresses.
And the lower portion the regular one (root stock) the lowest branch does not seem to be taking over.
If you leave that chop site as it is now with 4 side branches on the main trunk, it surely will develop reverse taper. There is already some reverse taper already. If this were my tree, I would either do what I mentioned earlier and carve to eliminate the reverse taper or chop slightly below the current chop and promote the wired branch to become the new apex.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Wait. My bad. Is this the current picture? If this is, it's a totally different ball game. The tree looks very promising. Don't worry about the top now. You may want to try reducing the root ball height by moving it to a wider and shallower grow box. You will have to saw off the bottom of the root ball but it better be done now rather than later. You will have plenty of time in the future to develop the top.
1714652737350.png

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Trees can recover from shock I am mostly worried about you, when they drag you from the swamp up to Virginia
I am a veteran at this. As an army brat I moved a lot when young, then at 19 I moved to the US. Since then I have lived and worked in multiple states. OH, MI, KY, FL, LA, TX
In short, I can make my own Ghillie, I can blend in any where.

Top Bottom