Cjr bald cypress work

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
For the work on my BCs without individual progression threads. This isn’t meant to be a study just document samples of my BC work. I want to see how my skills progress.
Style setting on four trees
Tall slender flat top
IMG_3145.jpeg

Flat top with multiple top branches and a good trunk.
IMG_3141.jpegIMG_3142.jpegIMG_3144.jpeg
IMG_3143.jpeg

Up right with stately big trunk
IMG_3138.jpegIMG_3139.jpegIMG_3140.jpeg

Flat top with slender trunk. Base will be split soon.
IMG_3137.jpeg

Last edited:
You have too many tree's my friend - I can give you the number of a good therapist....

j/k You can never have to many tree's!
- unless you ask my wife

For the work on my BCs without individual progression threads. This isn’t meant to be a study just document samples of my BC work. I want to see how my skills progress.
Style setting on four trees
Tall slender flat top
View attachment 560366

Flat top with multiple top branches and a good trunk.
View attachment 560367View attachment 560368View attachment 560369
View attachment 560370

Up right with stately big trunk
View attachment 560371View attachment 560372View attachment 560373

Flat top with slender trunk. Base will be split soon.
View attachment 560374
I absolutely love the first tree. Love the scale, proportions, and possibilities. I hope to see it in person some day when you move up here!

Collected and chopped to 34” last year. This tree grew to over 7 ft. Apex was chopped this morning. The tips of the small side branches on the chopped apex were snipped to encourage new buds instead if side branches being promoted by the tree to become new apex. The dominant side branch was also chopped to allow lower branches to develop.
IMG_3170.jpegIMG_3171.jpegIMG_3172.jpegIMG_3173.jpeg

Last edited:
I am undecided on this one. Keep the big side branch and carve the trunk down for a flat top or chop it to trigger the tree to promote the top tip at the chop to a new apex?
IMG_3174.jpeg

Collected and chopped to 34” last year. This tree grew to over 7 ft. Apex was chopped this morning. The tips of the small side branches on the chopped apex were snipped to encourage new buds instead if side branches being promoted by the tree to become new apex. The dominant side branch was also chopped to allow lower branches to develop.
View attachment 560816View attachment 560817View attachment 560818View attachment 560819
How did you decide how long to keep the apex when trimming?

Had a bunch of healthy shoots at the original chop but I chose to use the old side branches for a flat top.
IMG_3222.jpegIMG_3223.jpeg

You might be the only person I know that has more collected BC trees than me:). I collected 45 trunks this season with only one loss. Moved about half of them in to full sun yesterday evening.
I collected about the same amount but soon won’t be collecting BCs much anymore. Your work has been inspiring to me.

Back
Top Bottom