Chunky field maple raw material - send all the help!!!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ok so I can dig then 😂 thanks for this!

haha sure, i sent you that so you could understand why starting from a good base, finding the base, finding the front is important.
drastic decisions come after.
hopefully when choosing material next time you would understand, from watching that.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ahh makes sense, thanks for this. I'm guessing this is extremely difficult to rectify...
I don't know if that's the case with yours. Mine is flat from the roots up....yours to?
I suppose if I can get a root in that place, and I let it go while keeping the others trimmed, it will thicken up that area...don't know really.
I'll see what it looks like down there with this spring repot.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It needs growing out properly. I still stand by what I said by direct message if this were mine. It'll take time but then again what doesn't in bonsai?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It needs growing out properly. I still stand by what I said by direct message if this were mine. It'll take time but then again what doesn't in bonsai?

stick it in the ground Paul? the results of developing this species in the ground are truly phenomenal. but we still need to see the base, from my judgement it doesnt look like there will be much treasure under there.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Trunks come in a wide range of shapes and configurations.
My guess is that @fredman is correct and this one just has 2 strong roots that have expanded the trunk more just above the roots. I have also seen flattened trunks where they were confined in a narrow space before collection.
An oval trunk is not necessarily a problem but it is best if the front is one of the wider sections rather than a narrow side.
You won't hurt the tree by digging gently down to find the main roots. Even if you uncover some small roots on the way they will be fine when you cover up again after.
Plan of attack will depend on what you find but I suspect a layer to create new roots will be the best course.
There are several ways to tackle the upper trunk.
You can cut the top on an angle then grow a new leader out to get a larger tree with good taper. That will take some years.
You can hollow out the trunk to look like an old trunk that has rotted out on one side. That can look impressive and is quicker but first attempts do not always look completely natural.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
stick it in the ground Paul? the results of developing this species in the ground are truly phenomenal. but we still need to see the base, from my judgement it doesnt look like there will be much treasure under there.
Yes, ground growing is the way forward IMO. I've made this suggestion to Claire already via DM - it's the only way to get rid of the straight stove-pipe trunk. The base is important and ground growing could help improving it too if appropriate root work is done AND it's boarded. This will be a medium term project - around 5 years before it'll be ready for branch building. This will give her time to improve her skills (wiring, general cultivation & pruning) so at the appropriate time she can best move her "improved trunk" forward. Field Maple are probably even more resilient than Hornbeam in terms of root work so transition back into a container shouldn't be a problem.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
hi, is it possible to know the price you paid for this tree ? just curiosity ^^

This tree isn't easy, but with time and growth, i guess you'll make it far better than now. I would layer + inclination of the trunk + then clip & grow
008.jpg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks for sharing! Do you plan on tackling the straight trunk situation?
mine have always been in ground and i have some serious elephant feet under all of them. i just stacked quality dirt up around the base lightly
for some reason. weve been in a drought so i kind of like the bases covered up. i already hacked off the first knuckle of the one in second picture
and its begun healing. maybe a few seasons in ground with yours or collander pot it. it you dont have the root system under there i must say its kind of strange missing that thickness and root shape, and almost inverse taper going on. kind of looks like an upside down tree right now aside from foliage

the post above mine seems like a cool idea.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
haha sure, i sent you that so you could understand why starting from a good base, finding the base, finding the front is important.
drastic decisions come after.
hopefully when choosing material next time you would understand, from watching that.

Absolutely, great info in the video! Thanks

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I don't know if that's the case with yours. Mine is flat from the roots up....yours to?
I suppose if I can get a root in that place, and I let it go while keeping the others trimmed, it will thicken up that area...don't know really.
I'll see what it looks like down there with this spring repot.

I'm at work at the moment, but yeah pretty sure it's flat all the way from the roots. Would definitely be interested to see how you get on with yours!

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score

Absolutely - time is not a concern for me (definitely in the wrong hobby if it was!) great advice you sent me and I agree with what you said. It's got many flaws, but it'll be great practice and experience

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score

I'm going home soon, will get the base uncovered then, but yes I highly doubt they'll be much good down there

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Trunks come in a wide range of shapes and configurations.
My guess is that @fredman is correct and this one just has 2 strong roots that have expanded the trunk more just above the roots. I have also seen flattened trunks where they were confined in a narrow space before collection.
An oval trunk is not necessarily a problem but it is best if the front is one of the wider sections rather than a narrow side.
You won't hurt the tree by digging gently down to find the main roots. Even if you uncover some small roots on the way they will be fine when you cover up again after.
Plan of attack will depend on what you find but I suspect a layer to create new roots will be the best course.
There are several ways to tackle the upper trunk.
You can cut the top on an angle then grow a new leader out to get a larger tree with good taper. That will take some years.
You can hollow out the trunk to look like an old trunk that has rotted out on one side. That can look impressive and is quicker but first attempts do not always look completely natural.

I'd read a little about making hollows, would definitely need to do a lot more research if I decided to attempt it, it's on my list of stuff to look up!

Will post about the roots in the next few hours when I'm home

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Yes, ground growing is the way forward IMO. I've made this suggestion to Claire already via DM - it's the only way to get rid of the straight stove-pipe trunk. The base is important and ground growing could help improving it too if appropriate root work is done AND it's boarded. This will be a medium term project - around 5 years before it'll be ready for branch building. This will give her time to improve her skills (wiring, general cultivation & pruning) so at the appropriate time she can best move her "improved trunk" forward. Field Maple are probably even more resilient than Hornbeam in terms of root work so transition back into a container shouldn't be a problem.

I have a small area of the lawn which I could plant it (if the area is big enough - not sure how much space it'd need) - the quality of soil is absolutely awful though. During Easter we dug a load of it up to extend the patio. It's full of huge rocks, stones and I even found part of a plate down there. I'm guessing if I dog a big enough hole I could fill that with better soil?

When would you suggest planting?

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
hi, is it possible to know the price you paid for this tree ? just curiosity ^^

This tree isn't easy, but with time and growth, i guess you'll make it far better than now. I would layer + inclination of the trunk + then clip & grow
View attachment 316276

Oh I like that, may well be the way I go. But yeah I do think it needs a lot of time to grow. It was £60.
To me it seemed like good deal, granted I wasn't aware of all the flaws. But even so, I hadn't found anything of a similar price before, and I haven't the knowledge, tools or skill to collect my own yet

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
mine have always been in ground and i have some serious elephant feet under all of them. i just stacked quality dirt up around the base lightly
for some reason. weve been in a drought so i kind of like the bases covered up. i already hacked off the first knuckle of the one in second picture
and its begun healing. maybe a few seasons in ground with yours or collander pot it. it you dont have the root system under there i must say its kind of strange missing that thickness and root shape, and almost inverse taper going on. kind of looks like an upside down tree right now aside from foliage

the post above mine seems like a cool idea.
Definitely needs growing out!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a small area of the lawn which I could plant it (if the area is big enough - not sure how much space it'd need) - the quality of soil is absolutely awful though. During Easter we dug a load of it up to extend the patio. It's full of huge rocks, stones and I even found part of a plate down there. I'm guessing if I dog a big enough hole I could fill that with better soil?

its a woodland tree, it will grow in anything. you could buy a bag of John innes and shovel some into the planting hole. i use old bonsai soil in the planting holes.
ive planted trees in the ground at this time of year by watering them in for a few weeks.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
OK... Dug a bit, so wary as there's so many fine roots. Did I go too far or not far enough? Hopefully I haven't done too much damage? Included lots of photos... Thoughts definitely welcome 😂 @Forsoothe! appears to be right with his unbalanced root thoughts!

Attachments

• 20200716_155852.jpg
    20200716_155852.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200716_155842.jpg
    20200716_155842.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200716_155806.jpg
    20200716_155806.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200716_155759.jpg
    20200716_155759.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200716_155748.jpg
    20200716_155748.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200716_155739.jpg
    20200716_155739.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200716_155653.jpg
    20200716_155653.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200716_155646.jpg
    20200716_155646.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 24

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score

I'd wait til Spring just at bud swell because you'll be doing root work just before you plant it out. It'll give you time to research how to board a tree and acquire something flat, resilient to rotting and drillable. 🌲😁

Yeah doesn't look good - maybe add a reciprocating saw or a Silky hand saw if you are a big strong woman.

Top Bottom