Chopping a ficus tree...

greg

Seed
Reaction score
Hello,

First off, I have absolutely no idea what I am doing.

I got this ficus tree sometime last year. I trimmed it back a bit last winter at some point, and it has been outside to just grow all summer (I live in Missouri, so about time to bring it in)

IMG_1856.JPG

It stands about 3' tall from the ground, and is in a pretty large pot. Can I do a chop on this type of ficus? I have no clue what kind it is.

There is a rock under some of the roots.

IMG_1864.JPG

Anyway, do you think I can cut it off maybe 5-6 inches above where the top root comes out and keep it going? Also, I have read you can plant cuttings from some ficus trees, will that work with this particular species?

Thanks in advance!

-greg

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's F. Benjamina. They usually die back from cuts without leaving some green remaining. I would slip it into a slightly bigger container, fertilize it a lot, and cut back to one or two sets of leaves. That's something you'll want to do next year.

greg

Seed
Reaction score
It's F. Benjamina. They usually die back from cuts without leaving some green remaining. I would slip it into a slightly bigger container, fertilize it a lot, and cut back to one or two sets of leaves. That's something you'll want to do next year.

Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

Top Bottom