Chinese juniper progression thread

Oakacer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Obtained a new Chinese juniper this week. About 40cm tall.

Side 1(I think my favourite)
0FB35740-527A-4E32-B14A-2063BDD041CA.jpeg

Side 2
3B5C1175-FE1E-424C-AE4A-CDBAF387F8C2.jpeg

Side 3
A16828C3-813D-4EF8-A68E-9696D9639A87.jpeg

Side 4
B0A9A1E5-8D19-460C-BDE4-8183429DA240.jpeg

No decision on plans and styling yet. Initial thoughts are to repot into a large training pot in spring and just observe the tree for a while.

Will use this thread to document progress. If anything jumps out at you with this tree I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Until the top hamper is a bit more clear, hard to totally tell.

Not much taper in the trunk, but very interesting curves one side 1. A tad repetitive? Thinking slightly turning this side view slightly to alleviate this issue, then tilting the tree to the left (using the photo) might really make a really interesting presentation.

What do you think?

Cheers
DSD sends

From one who doesn't know any better, I like 3. The first branch appeals to me as a potential second trunk, and the second branch possibly an attractive jin in the future. I agree with @Deep Sea Diver as far as the canopy goes; hard to say until it is thinned out a bit, but definitely going to be a great project. I'll be following this progression as I'm learning more and more everyday.

Overall, I like this Juniper. I agree with DeepSea that tilting/adjusting the orientation of the tree so that the perpendicular line of the base/trunk from the soil going up the tree will add more interest to the trunk line. The trunk has nice movement and twists in it so far, making it a good candidate for stellar shari and deadwood creation to accentuate the twisting and bending movement that already exists.

The canopy looks pretty dense and it might be a good time to go in and clean it out: pruning away small/interior/weak foliage and branching that you do not desire to keep now and in the long term, pruning away foliage and growth inside the crotches (forks, junctions, elbows of the trunk & primary branches), etc. Routinely going through the steps/process of cleaning out to reveal more internal structure can help harmonize the desired/optimal front and how it relates to the "best" base/trunk.

The structure of the primaries and secondaries has nice depth (good foreground/middleground/background) of branching and foliage from every rotational view. This tree already has the bones to create lovely shelves of foliage pads (foliage pads that are more inside/outside, away/closer to the viewer) throughout the canopy from whichever rotational view you choose as the official front.

Personally, I like side 1 and for two reasons: a) the base of the trunk demonstrates strength (although I agree with Winston Wolfe that the base and nebari of 3 is better or probably the best); and b) the interesting trunk movement is shown more, plus the apex/canopy tends to naturally bow towards the viewer (likely requiring "less" work to complete and refine the apex in the long term).

Additionally, if you choose option 1 (very nice), you might consider addressing the lowest and rear branch (removing, angling it, reducing, deadwood) so that the elegant trunkline can be fully shown and appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies! I agree with you DSD and Bonsai Forest, I like side 1 for its movement despite the nebari being better from a different side, and the idea of altering the planting angle by tilting to the left, and then creating counter balance bringing the thicker branch down on the right side. The first large branch, which is largely towards the back of the tree, could be become a Jin with a Shari coming round to the front of the tree.

04036231-187A-478B-BB79-4143B5C9DBAE.jpeg

The canopy is really very dense and until I have a better idea of branch placement and wiring, i think I’ll leave that alone for a while!

2AB515BF-0DBC-4034-9FD3-12DFC54CCB2F.jpeg

Initial thoughts.

34E0EE74-5306-4B80-9483-DD78AE7CD1EE.jpeg

Thanks for your replies! I agree with you DSD and Bonsai Forest, I like side 1 for its movement despite the nebari being better from a different side, and the idea of altering the planting angle by tilting to the left, and then creating counter balance bringing the thicker branch down on the right side. The first large branch, which is largely towards the back of the tree, could be become a Jin with a Shari coming round to the front of the tree.

View attachment 569294

The canopy is really very dense and until I have a better idea of branch placement and wiring, i think I’ll leave that alone for a while!

View attachment 569295

Initial thoughts.

View attachment 569297
You’re on the right track ✅

1 for sure. That trunk movement is more important than nebari. The nebari can be improved more easily.

Some great ideas.

A couple other thoughts.

Before getting too far planning about deadwood, Jins et all, go back and lock in your angle. Before doing this, get into the top hamper and clean out all the crouches. Then trim to define each secondary branch and the larger tertiaries. Doing this will give you a very clear look at the entire primary-secondary line.

Then check the angle and slight variations. Once this is dialed in, find a way to securely chock up the pot to the proper angle fixed in place from now on.

This will let the tree get used to the angle and also allow you to decide if any wiring or bending is needed later this fall.

Also will let you start thinking about prospective pots…

That is all!

Looking forward to seeing future posts on this tree.

Cheers
DSD sends

Some great ideas.

A couple other thoughts.

Before getting too far planning about deadwood, Jins et all, go back and lock in your angle. Before doing this, get into the top hamper and clean out all the crouches. Then trim to define each secondary branch and the larger tertiaries. Doing this will give you a very clear look at the entire primary-secondary line.

Then check the angle and slight variations. Once this is dialed in, find a way to securely chock up the pot to the proper angle fixed in place from now on.

This will let the tree get used to the angle and also allow you to decide if any wiring or bending is needed later this fall.

Also will let you start thinking about prospective pots…

That is all!

Looking forward to seeing future posts on this tree.

Cheers
DSD sends
🎯

Extending that shari further up the trunk is one way to alleviate the lack of taper. Our eyes/brains only perceive the weight of the darker bark so shari on one side of the trunk makes it look thinner.

Back
Top Bottom