Chinese Fringe dead, autopsy results

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of the 3 chinese fringe trees I have had over 12 years gave up the ghost this year. It started budding out with the others, weakly and didn't finish.
Today I pulled it out of the colander to check roots. They were thick and healthy but the branches were starting to dry out.
Upon close inspection I noticed a tiny, perfectly round hole....egads the more I looked the more there were. :( . I started digging with a sharp knife and found a shiny black butt!
More cutting exposed larvae...some of the holes went all the way through!
I havent named the beast yet, some sort of borer but now I am afraid for my other trees as they have all been shuffled around together.
I found one hole on another of the fringe trees.
Anyone know what these are and a cure?
So far the fringe I found one hole in looks ok, but as I chased the holes on the dead one they went deep and had larvae in different vaults.

I am starting to try to find the culprit and hope it only goes after deciduous trees as I have fewer of them. If they spread to my conifers and kill this fast--
my collection would be devastated.

So when I find a name and remedy I have over a hundred potted trees to examine with a magnifyer... help!:eek:

chfrgcritter.JPGchfrgcritter.JPG

Attachments

• chfrgworm.JPG
    chfrgworm.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 19
  • chfrgbug.JPG
    chfrgbug.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So i put in some landscape paper birches and they are really suseptable to borers when stressed. This is what i used:

https://www.atticusllc.com/product/quasar-8-5-sl/

With this as a surfactant:

https://helenaagri.com/products/nonionic-surfactants/kinetic/

The combination came highly recomended specifically against borers. I like it because it is a bark applied, systemic. I worry that given how much water flushes through our soil that root absorbed systemic will wash through before they can be taken up.

Reaction score
I read that borers like trees that are currently "in stress", so that may be why that 1 got killed and the other didnt. I cant remember where I Read it tho.
So spray insecticide and keep everything in shape and it will probably be fine.

Top Bottom