Chinese Elms - Sprouts From The Roots

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've noticed some of my Chinese Elms have recently developed sprouts from their roots. I have attached pictures. Do folks leave them or chop them?1000002626.jpg1000002627.jpg?

These are known as Suckers.
It's best to remove them if you don't need them in your design, because they can siphon energy away from the main tree.

That said, Elms are very vigorous trees so this is not that big of an issue on these species.

Looking at your tree, you may actually want more branching lower down, as there is a long section without any.
You could consider letting these suckers grow in order to thread graft them in the winter.

I assume your Chinese elm ID is correct? Some other elms sucker profusely but Chinese elm not so much unless there's damage to the roots. I had the feeling the leaves looked a little larger than I expect Chinese elm but there's not much for scale until I looked at the pine seedling next to number 1. Leaf size now looks OK for Chinese elm.

Most Chinese elm suckers I've come across are the result of quick and dirty root pruning where roots have been cut through but left in the root ball. What you have then is a root cutting which is a separate tree growing from a disconnected root.
No problem cutting the suckers off but they will likely keep growing back if you just cut at ground level. You may be able to trace some back to the roots they are growing from. To reduce chance of growing more suckers from the stem of trimmed suckers try to break them off right at the point they emerge from the root.

Leaves look like a Siberian Elm, Ulmus pumila. They do sucker profusely.

On some trees that are more difficult to propagate, like a European Field Maple or Hawthorn, I will let those grow until I repot the tree and then collect it with part of the root it's growing from and get a pre rooted starter tree.
The elms are so easy to propagate from cuttings I don't bother with the root suckers and just pluck them off as they appear.
It's a way that many trees spread and increase. Ask anyone who has a sweetgum in their yard.

Back
Top Bottom