zelkova, seedlings, cuttings, chinese elms

Joe2758

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,
1. Are zelkova more desirable than Chinese elms?
2. With these two species, is seedligs vs cuttings any more desirable than the other?
3. pros and cons?
4. Do you think my Chinese elms in the ground zone 6B will be ok this winter? 2yo seedlings

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends what you mean by desirable? Are you growing to sell?
Zone 6 should be fine especially if they're in the ground.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello,
1. Are zelkova more desirable than Chinese elms?
2. With these two species, is seedligs vs cuttings any more desirable than the other?
3. pros and cons?
4. Do you think my Chinese elms in the ground zone 6B will be ok this winter? 2yo seedlings
1. good quality development is desirable in either, popularity will depend on location and availability! Generally my guess would be chines elm easier to propagate and develop, therefore similar quality the Zelkova would be a better product to raise.
2. cuttings are more desirable because you can select parent qualities. Seeds are an unknown outcome other than general species! or hybrid.
3. What is readily available in your market, What are your developmental skills. Elm somewhat easier than Zelkova in my opinion.
4. Generally they should be fine but it depends on the condition of your seedlings. How hardened off are they to the location, how advanced is the root development. This can vary a lot between plants and regular care and maintenance routines.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love both species, there are many great examples all over the internet of either. In my climate I find the Zelkova more desirable because it will drop its leaves, where as the Chinese elm can behave like a semi evergreen in some locations, holding onto its green leaves all winter. The naked deciduous image is very important and 'desirable' for me.

Joe2758

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks everyone!

My goalis to find the species that do the best on my property with the least amount of work. So, this year I started batches from seed of what seem to be the most popular species, and some 1 year old seedlings that I purchased.

Growing these seedlings and doing simple wiring, some seedling cuttings, different soils and pots etc is just as interesting to me as the artistic side of actual bonsai trees.

I want to see "what can I easily grow, that is not worrisome, that doesn't need more than the cold frame set up I already have? (Which I think will cover most)"

"What species, soil, placement, pots will allow me to miss some waterings?"

Then to grow my knowledge slowly along with the seedlings, without fear and pressure.

I will develop a small modest collection based on those findings. I don't even expect to show them (Though I still want to do the best I can for my own enjoyment.)

I will probably sell some two or 3 year old seedlings as I learn what works best for me. So I am growing "desirable"species like European beech, Korean hornbeam, trident maple, Japanese black pine, ginko, bald cypress, larch, hemlock etc so they are not worthless if I don't choose to keep them.

I just want to make a batch of vanilla brooms. So I have these Chinese elms that are about 2 yo and only 1 zelkova that I grew from a seed last spring. I love the full grown zelkovas around here, but by desirable I suppose I meant easiness to develop, and monetary value if I decide to sell.

I have enough Chinese elms to propagate to my hearts content, but I am wondering if it would be worth starting zelkova seeds or buying starters.

Sorry for long post.

Top Bottom