Chinese elm wintering questions

tibley

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey so I’ve had this Chinese elm for about 2 months now, I live in the upper Midwest USA and it gets down to -15 at some points in the winter. I plan on bringing my Chinese elm to college and keep it in my dorm room while I’m there. The climate of my college is the same as where I live right now with really cold and brutal winters. Will this tree be alright in my room with a grow light? Should I bring it back home when it gets cold out so it can go into dormancy for a month or two? Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I’m starting to stress about that I’m gonna do with it!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Chinese elms are one of the species that can do OK indoors. They grow well in places that do not get a winter dormancy so don't fret too much about that. Many growers in tropical areas grow Chinese elm because it doesn't need the winter rest. Expect that Chinese elm may not even drop leaves if it doesn't get too cold. We've had a relatively warm winter this year and some of mine haven't dropped leaves. Old leaves usually start to fall when the new ones come out in spring.
You may need a grow light to give it enough quality light while indoors.

Top Bottom