Chemical vs Organic.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I use both, and there doses and use is based on tree development, where I need it to be and what my goal is. Hey as long as your fertilizing, that's half the battle right?

Use what works for you and listen and read what other people do and make a informed decision. Don't get caught up in the hoopla and egos, it's the internet. There is a proper way to do things but many ways to get there. Find what works, be informed and then do it. ;)

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
But really you got some pretty simple and effective answers. Feed both. Two of the best in the biz are saying the same thing. What could be simpler. It makes tons of sense. Like feeding your dog more than one type of dog food for life, there may be deficiencies in nutrient content so you feed more than one thing.
I do the same thing with my fert.
Relating Bonsai to pet care is very fitting and something I always relay to people new to Bonsai! It is like having a pet (or a couple HUNDRED) in your back yard that need someone to feed it or water it... if you feel like it or not, if you are home or away... it seems the connection to caring for "bourique" pets has strong correlation to bonsai! I see so many are also into herpetology, salt water fish tanks, very soecific soecialized breeds of dogs/ show dogs...

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just hit my plants with some organic fertilizers. Mixture of chicken poop...bone meal...kelp for a 6-10-1 ratio. Easy on the bone meal clogs the soil mixture (learned the hard way). After reading the thread thought it might be a good idea to promote bacteria growth in the soil. Guess it is the gardener in me coming out. Bonsai soil just seems so inert

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Why is organic better for a tree than commercial fert I guess is what I really want to know.

Depends on substrate and your routine. If you use modern substrate you can overdose with commercial OR use organics that break down slowly at watering. Myself I don't trust the organics with modern substrate.
I have gone to fully organic substrates and still use commercial fertilizer, just a bit less, and find it easy to control. The time release methods just don't sit right with me although many say it works for them in both.
It really depends a lot on what time allows, and many other things like plant type, etc... For example - I use a commercial liquid fertilizer primarily because of the wide variety of plant types me and Crystal grow here and adjust use for many easily and quickly.

Grimmy

Top Bottom