chamaecyparis thyoides ericoides 'plum cedar'

greenhorn321

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
120503_0006.jpg120503_0008.jpg I know I need to let this tree grow but it has four branches growing within an inch of each other. My question is when is a good time to remove a couple? If anyone could help me out I can't find much information on this tree.

Last edited:
Seeing your two questions I immediately think of the series of articles from International Bonsai Magazine that outline how to take a young tree and make a bonsai out of it. They're good articles if you're interested in getting a somewhat classical looking tree. See if you can find the/one issue that focuses on Chamecyparis and you'll have a good set of instructions.

For this tree I would use wire to put some movement in the trunk and choose a trunk line. Then I would establish a plan for where a sacrifice branch could be grown and where the cut would be once it has fattened up the trunk. Then follow that plan for the next 2-10 years. Meanwhile you can work on the branching once the sacrifice starts taking off.

You live in Sonoma - go join REBS or another bay area club - You're in one of the best places in the country to get into bonsai...you have a ton of resources within an hour drive and great weather too.

Back
Top Bottom