Chamaecyparis 'Boulevard' Pinch or Snip

FiestaRed

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking back through a number of posts about trimming Chamaecyparis 'Boulevard' and there seems to be conflictions about whether to pinch out the tips or to snip them off when styling and trimming to shape.
Reading the various posts, both pinching and snipping leads to browning or dieback. Does anyone have a definitive answer please, I have a tree that is badly in need of a trim?

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do both pinching and snipping, but not at the same time. I pinch off the tips by grabbing a small clutch between my fingers about 1/4" from the end and and then pinch off the ends. This will eventually lead to a pad that is too thick and congested. Then I go in and thin out the pad by snipping some of the stems.
If I pinch off just the tips I don't get browning. If you pinch too deep into the thicker stem you'll get browned out.

FiestaRed

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do both pinching and snipping, but not at the same time. I pinch off the tips by grabbing a small clutch between my fingers about 1/4" from the end and and then pinch off the ends. This will eventually lead to a pad that is too thick and congested. Then I go in and thin out the pad by snipping some of the stems.
If I pinch off just the tips I don't get browning. If you pinch too deep into the thicker stem you'll get browned out.
What a great explanation, really appreciate the help.

Top Bottom