Can anyone ID this Japanese Maple variety with very small leaves?

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Found in a garden in south east UK. The leaves are very small (the scale on the ruler is cm), but the tree itself isn't particularly small. Seems like it could be great for bonsai if I can get some cuttings / air layers. Full album of photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20191020_130331_2.jpg
    IMG_20191020_130331_2.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 43

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Maple identification is hard with all the cultivars and even the varying differences between species seedlings.
It might be a seedling and not grafted which means it doesn't have a cultivar name.

If it has a nice form and leaf structure, id go for propagation. Often people prefer seedlings for their hardiness.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If it has a nice form and leaf structure, id go for propagation. Often people prefer seedlings for their hardiness.

Good advice, but propagating maple cultivars is best done by taking cuttings or air-layering rather than planting seeds, if that's what you meant by "seedlings".

I have a 'Little Princess' (the Japanese call it Mapi-no-Machi Hime') that has very small leaves, like many of the "Hime family", and not all of them are dwarf trees.

acerp-mapi01_191021a.jpg

The white on the leaves is because my water is very hard, and since it was very dry this summer, I had to water from the tap.

'Hiname Nishiki'

Never heard of it before. Most "nishiki" palmatums have some kind of variagation, do you have a link, or photos, I can't find any...
Thx,
Alain K.

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good advice, but propagating maple cultivars is best done by taking cuttings or air-layering rather than planting seeds, if that's what you meant by "seedlings".

I have a 'Little Princess' (the Japanese call it Mapi-no-Machi Hime') that has very small leaves, like many of the "Hime family", and not all of them are dwarf trees.

View attachment 267557

The white on the leaves is because my water is very hard, and since it was very dry this summer, I had to water from the tap.

Never heard of it before. Most "nishiki" palmatums have some kind of variagation, do you have a link, or photos, I can't find any...
Thx,
Alain K.
What I meant was this maple might be a seedling not cultivar. What I meant by propagate is what was said in the post, "cuttings / air layers"

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, I agree and questioned the tagging of my tree because it isn't variegated, but I do think it is correct. It seems to fit with numerous descriptions that I find. I get an abundant number with U.S. Google - here is one such site. Mine is about 4 feet (1.25 m) tall and 3 wide (1 m(+) with a trunk approaching a 2 inch (5 cm) caliper at ground level.

The spring leaves of mine:

btw, I acquired a young/new a.p. 'Ruygu' which has leaves nearly this small that are lightly variegated like both of us would expect of a 'Nishiki' name (but it is another story).

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
when in doubt you have to call it green or red. Thems the rules. BUT I think seeds are fun and cuttings give clones so do it up. Extra points if you dust the seed with captan

Top Bottom